1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which March Madness game story is the best-written? Judge for yourself.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 23, 2007.

?

Which of these five stories best tell the story of Memphis-Taxas A&M thriller?

1. Brent Zwerneman, SA Express-News

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Terrence Harris, Houston Chronicle

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Jeff Caplan, FW Star-Telegram

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Rachel Cohen, Dallas Morning News

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  5. Dan Wolken, Commercial-Appeal

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. The first score mentioned was not the final score.

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

OK. Better to say "down by a point." Still, didn't bother me as much as the construct that makes the final score an adjective; when I'm king of the world, the score can be an adjective in an analysis but not in the game story.

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Why don't editor yank the fake score out of the lead??? This drives me crazy. Journalism 101.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Rachel Cohen's story is the best. Good lede. Can't agree that the third graph should have been the lead. It would have been out of place and would not have drawn me in. The third graph is the nut graph and is in the right place.
    I thought the quotes were placed in the right spots and she jumped into the game action at a critical point that made me want to keep reading.
    This was filed on deadline. She's a very good writer and should be commended. Hope her SE told her it was a great job.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Rachel.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Another kudo to Cohen, she at least hit on the fact that Gillisipie and Calipari are both possible candidates for the Kentucky job and that neither of them wanted to talk about it.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Rachel's got a whole entourage ... :)

8. jaredk

jaredk Member

I once had the score in the 11th graf. I'm a zealot convert now, believing and preaching that game stories must be inverted pyramids. It's a news story, not an exercise in narrative and writerly vanity. Challenge yourself to get the score in the lede -- or, at least, get the winner in there -- and make it dramatic, passionate, fun.

As for the Kentucky job, that's a sidebar and has no place in the game story. Hell, every coach alive, except for Tubby, is a Kentucky candidate.

9. I'm voting for the Dallas story.

It had concise, well-written prose--which is hard to do on deadline. I know I have a tendency to write rambling sentences when under the gun, feeling pressure to get in all the info and often having to break it up on my second readthrough (assuming I have time for a second readthrough)...

I liked the lede. I thought all the others were excessively wordy by comparison.

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

If you think a story about Calipari and Gillispie shouldn't mention the Kentucky job, you're crazy. First of all, a game story can be a conglomeration of the whole package. So maybe it's a sidebar, but it deserves a mention. Second of all, if you're a Texas A&M fan, your team already lost. You only care about two things: Are your players coming back, and is your coach.
    These subjects should be prominent in a gamer.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except in the Dallas story it's an afterthought in the last graf. It would get better play as a sidebar.

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

Yeah, boy, what newspapers need, conglomeration.....

Draft saved Draft deleted