1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by King_Cecil, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Even though the 13" MacBook is wider (because it's a widescreen, duh), it's still lighter than the old 12" iBooks.

I used mine for state soccer tournaments just this past week. All I do is write in SimpleText and e-mail it out. No problems at all, and my shop uses ACT on Windows XP.

Plus, you can use both Mac OS and Windows OS on the Intel books. If you get a virus thorugh Windows, the whole thing won't be crapped because you'll have to partition (split) your hard drive (you might want to upgrade the size). You'll at least be able to boot into Mac OS until you can get the Windows OS cleaned up.

I do have one problem with the MacBook: you can't buy a wireless network card for Internet access via T-Mobile or Cingular signals. You'll have to either find somewhere with a hard line or find a WiFi hotspot (like a Kinkos or a hotel room or press box, etc.) to send stories. (And if you have to use dial-up? No port on the MacBook. Have to buy a $50 dial-up modem that connects via USB ports.) Hopefully, the next generation will have that expansion slot. Who knows?

2. King_Cecil

King_Cecil Member

well it I don't think it could be more clear than that. Thanks for the feedback everybody. I just have never really dealt with Macs, except in J-school, so I guess I was a little apprehensive. I don't like the fact that I can't get a broadband card for it, but honestly I wasn't going to get one anyway. As long as it has WiFi capability that's good enough for me. Most of the places I will be taking it to will have ethernet hook ups anyway.

I will be picking it up tomorrow along with Microsoft Office. What else should I get for it? I don't have much money to spend after the laptop itself, but I know I'll need a wall charger. How much does everybody use jump drives and should I get one of those? The salesman I spoke with mentioned that after I install MS Office that there won't be a ton of space leftover, so I'm wondering if a jump drive is the way to go. Again, thanks for the feedback.

3. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Get a good laptop bag, not one of those cheap foam/cloth ones either. One bad drop and that bastard could be gone and then you're fucked.

Buy the three-year warranty. All the hype says that Macs are wonderful, but like any mass-produced product, you may get one with hardware issues. Once that standard one-year runs out and the logic board shits out because the power supply fries it and all you smell is burnt wiring, you're fucked.

It will come with a wall charger. Now a car charger would be handy if you drive a lot and don't have a lot of time to charge from place to place or an extra battery. Otherwise, run out of battery on deadline, and, wait for it ... you're fucked.

Jump drives are good for moving a large number of files, like graphics or art, from one computer to another (esp. Mac to non-Mac) because most e-mail services only give you so much server space. If that gets used up, now sing along ... you're fucked. (Personally, I have a second hard drive at home that I use to back up my MacBook and save everything. Keeps the hard drive fairly free of waste.)

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

5. lono

lono Active Member

Get the student edition of Microsoft Office - Word, Excel and Powerpoint - all most people need.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

Good points, Tide but the day is soon coming that wifi will be everywhere. I'm amazed that so many people are still using dial-up.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I went to Best Buy and purchased a Swiss Gear bag for like $80, but it's with me every day and still in great shape. And my computer is tucked safely away.

Anyway, place me on the Apple bandwagon... two years ago I got an iBook G4... I have had NO problems. The thing is amazing and the new MacBooks... wow. It'll be the best purchase you can make.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Well, the dial-up is still a necessary evil some places. Not completely stamped out yet.

However, I really think the next upgrade should have the ports for the T-Mobile/Cingular wireless cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted