1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is Worse - O'Connor / Waldman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Which is worse?

1. O'Connor Felete of Jeter

50.0%
  2. Waldman "Oh My Goodness..

28.6%
  3. Same

21.4%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Both pretty cringe worthy and no doubt will define them forever.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is actually a very tough call.

On one hand, Waldman should lose because she wasn't describing something that actually mattered. Roger Clemens wasn't playing at the moment, he just showed up at Yankee Stadium, so her hyperbole seems all the more ridiculous.

On the other hand, O'Connor -- though he was describing a historic event -- had time to think about what he wanted to say. He could have been his own editor. Waldman just had to talk off the cuff. And O'Connor also had other levels of editors to save him from himself.

Of all the dramatic choices I've ever had to make in an SportsJournalists.com poll, oh my goodness, this is a Faustian bargain.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

is this a serious question? ian, hands down. we expect nothing more from suzyn, a yankee fangirl/cheerleader with absolutely no claim regarding journalistic integrity or credibility. ian is a journalist of long-standing with a solid rep who has broken every code of his trade and will have this embarrassing episode follow him for a long time. i fully expect cheerleadleading drivel from suzyn; i expect much more and much better from ian.:eek:

sorry if this comes off as wishy-washy.... ::)

4. Boom_70

I voted O'Connor because of the adverse effect on his previously almost stellar image.

Waldman's grand pronouncement was more of the norm for her.

Certainly has defined them both.

5. Boom_70

With O'Connor the warning signs were there though. Story he did on Dave Checketts comes to mind as well as Tiki Barber story.

Both came off like he was there apologist.

Never hit critical mass but in my mind Tom Verducci is forever tarnished for his see not evil Roger Clemens stories.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Forget Verducci ... did you ever read Austin Murphy's profile of Bill Romanowski in Sports Illustrated? Yowza, talk about see no evil. It might be the most egregious whiff on a potential steroid story I've ever read. The entire basis of the story is all the pills Romo used to pop and how they got him so jacked up he couldn't control his rage. And, um, apparently, Murphy didn't think to dig a little deeper.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012921/index.htm

7. Boom_70

Forgot about that one. Good call.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get too worked up about Murphy's Romo story (when first glancing at the post I read it as Mazeroski, and thought, wow, I missed an old scandal). If Romanowski's pill popping and what was actually in them was underplayed, it's a nice balance to the hyperbole of that issue's cover:

TRADE OF THE CENTURY.

The Mike Piazza trade. Huh.

As for the question at hand - O'Connor.

9. Boom_70

This thread would not be complete without mentioning Pedro Gomez's year long felete of Barry Bonds.

If ESPN had tested Pedro for PHD's he would have tested positive.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

O'Connor would have hit for the cycle in that lede with a reference to Greek mythology.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Waldman... general principle...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember Artie Lange telling this story on Stern.

He was on the field at Yankee Stadium a few years ago before a game and one of the other broadcasters walked up to him and said, "Hey, how'd you get down here?"

He said, "I won a Suzyn Waldman lookalike contest."

The broadcaster looked at him and said, "Yeah, I can see it..."

Draft saved Draft deleted