1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which football team should I go see play?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

As you probably know by now by my writing, I'm not a Sports Journalist, I'm just a sports fan that enjoys talking about sports.

Anyway, I've only seen one football game in my life(I'm fairly young) I went to see the Falcons play the Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium a few years back. Great experience.

Me and my friends are planning to go see an NFL game this year. Right now, our first choice is the Packers at Lambeau Field.

Any suggestions on who we should go see play? We would be heading down on a Friday, and we love to party so great bars near by would be a must. Suggestions of bars/clubs would be appreciated as well.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Go to a college game instead.

That said, Green Bay seems a decent place to start. Off the top of my head, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Kansas City, Denver and Cleveland should be on the list as well.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My dream NFL game would be the 1985 Chicago Bears vs. the 1972 Dolphins.

Oh wait.

Lambeau is a good start because of the small-town atmosphere and sense of history. Just not the easiest trip to make happen, I'd think. Kansas City should be pretty bad, but they have some of the best fans and the energy at the games is as good as any stadium. Similarly, the Raiders fans are pretty fun and it can be a good experience. It may be an easier game to make happen than Green Bay. Giants & Jets will probably both be decent teams and they have a new stadium, so that could be an option. If you like outdoors in the weather during late November & December (I don't, but to each their own), a game at Foxboro is usually pretty good, too. You get the flurries and they are always a decent team. You already did Bills, but I'd always add a game there to the list, too.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Kansas City in late September or early October is about as good as it gets in my book.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If it MUST be an NFL game, just make sure you stay away from the Redskins. That place is the worst excuse for an NFL stadium as there is.

College > NFL in terms of fan experience, at least in my neck of the woods.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you're into the decline of Western civilization, an Eagles game is a must.

7. 93Devil

I have a feeling when the Skins played at RFK they would have been a must see.

There is an urban legend in the DC metro sprawl that if you start your car in the Heinz Field parking lot on a Sunday afternoon the same time a buddy starts his car in the FedEx parking lot, the Steeler fan will get home first to his Stafford County, Montgomery County or Rockville home. It would be about a 4-5 hour drive for the Steeler fan depending upon the location.

That's how bad FedEx is for DC fans.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Especially if you wear the opposing team's colors and cheer really loudly. They appreciate that, and will reward you by sharing some of their remarkable linguistic and pugilistic skills.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's not just the traffic, but that's part of it. It's a horrible experience. The stadium is in the middle of nowhere. No good bars or restaurants nearby. Mass transit is a big pain in the ass, whereas RFK and it's awesome atmosphere could be reached by Metro easily.

Prices suck, which I'm sure they do everywhere. Tickets are outrageous. Parking is outrageous. Food and beer are outrageous.

And going to a game eats an entire day. Leave your house at 9 to get there at 11 and tailgate (depending on your location, obviously). Game over at 4:30. Out of the stadium and into the parking lots by 5. Home by 7 or 8. Miss the entire slate of late games.

Fuck that! I'll sit my ass at home, spend $30 on a boatload of food and beer and watch on the silly big screen TV.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As others have said, if you're looking for atmosphere you should forget the NFL and do a college game. Pretty much any Saturday on an SEC campus is time well-spent.

If you have the time and money, you could even combine the two. Go to an LSU game on Saturday night, then drive to New Orleans for a Saints game on Sunday, for example. Both have a tremendous atmosphere and you can get the best of both worlds.
    There's several places you can do that with, although some combinations are far better than others. South Carolina/Clemson and the Panthers; Georgia/Georgia Tech and the Falcons; Vanderbilt and the Titans (probably the worst combo of this bunch); Miami and the Dolphins; or Colorado and the Broncos are all a few that spring to mind.

11. 93Devil

Sonner is also assuming there is not a fender bender on the Inner or Outer Loop and 95 South is clear.

I have a buddy who lives on 86th and Fifth in NYC (or something like that). We watched a final pitch of a Yankee game and were in his apartment 13 minutes later.

Mind you, he was on the right side of the stadium and we caught an express perfectly, but you get the drift of how sweet public transportation can be.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Ditto on the college advice. Major college football is as good a regular season experience as you can have in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted