1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Daytona 500 story is best?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Which Daytona 500 story is best?

1. Charlotte Observer

47.6%
  2. Orlando Sentinel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

9.5%
  4. New York Times

23.8%
  5. Winston-Salem Journal

4.8%
  6. Associated Press

4.8%
  7. Palm Beach Post

9.5%
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm on Chapter 8, and have been telling Liz repeatedly how much I am loving it. Written so well, and it reads much shorter than it is because it's about the people...it's so good.

I wasn't invited to the book party though...I made her sign my copy last week. :D

2. Mira

Mira Member

I'm on Chapter 2 of Clarke's book. It is a great read.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nate's replacement in Richmond didn't do badly, either.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-18-0118.html

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Really liked Clarke's story from start to finish, but a lot of good ledes and first sections out there. Can't find fault with hardly any, though yes pretty big surprise to see a car-number typo in a Poole/Observer story.

Maybe some new eyes will see this thread and realize there's a heckuva lot of good writing done on the racing beat.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I have nothing to say about this.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Clarke did a Q&A with the Daytona Beach News-Journal that ran during race week. She compared the return to Daytona to the first day back at junior high school. It was a good interview.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She was also good on "Tradin' Paint", the weekly Speed Channel roundtable featuring a racing journo and Kyle Petty.

8. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Curious about why you picked the stories you did and not others. I understand Charlotte (NASCAR's unofficial capitol), Orlando (post-Hinton), Atlanta (at least they let Minter stay for the event, unlike what they inexplicably did to Steve Wyche at the Super Bowl), New York Times (it's the New York Times), Winston-Salem (heart of NASCAR country) and AP, but why did you include Palm Beach? Why not Daytona Beach?
    ???

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To me, the NYT did the best job of bringing the race to the layman.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not my former colleague, but I kinda wish he was. :D

Seriously, since I work with about a half-dozen people who worked with Nate when he was here (including my boss) and every one of them feels the same way as MileHigh and Moddy ... I can't help but like the guy, too. And hell, I've never even met him.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not to threadjack, but do you think if we gave Kyle Petty the racing beat at one of these papers, we could possibly get him out of a race car?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's tryin' to get there, shottie. He was going to be out long ago when they put Adam in the car. Sadly, that couldn't happen.

He knows he's not a top-level driver. But he's trying to keep the team running, getting enough points, until he can make the full-time transition to run the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted