1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Daytona 500 story is best?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Which Daytona 500 story is best?

1. Charlotte Observer

47.6%
  2. Orlando Sentinel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

9.5%
  4. New York Times

23.8%
  5. Winston-Salem Journal

4.8%
  6. Associated Press

4.8%
  7. Palm Beach Post

9.5%
  1. John

John Well-Known Member

The lede is nearly identical to Orlando's.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read a Daytona story yet. Doesn't keep me from chiming in though.

I'm sure a lot of ledes played big on the "team" angle. The assist, whatever. Kurt pushes Ryan into Victory Circle.

Nate is a former colleague who had the smarts to get out before I became SE. Good, good, good, good, a million more goods guy. One of the very few I'd kill for or die for or whatever.

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/17/AR2008021702535.html

Liz Clarke does the best job of explaining the dynamics (and the aero-dynamics) of the last-lap teamwork. But I wish she'd done more with Kurt Busch's unselfishness in getting in line and Stewart's grace in riding out his mistake.

But I betcha the best story of that race is the one in Ed Hinton's head, wherever that head happened to be.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Liz's book out yet (or is it Liz' book, whatever, is it out yet?)

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ditto.

6. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Book party, 7 pm the 28th in DC at Olsson's on 7th St....."One Helluva Ride: How NASCAR Swept the Nation".....

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I liked AP the best. NYT second.

Observer took too long to mention Newman's 81 race drought.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What he said. Former colleague. Friend. Does a hell of a job and has for many years. And, yeah, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

9. Mira

Mira Member

I like this one from Dave Kallmann in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Good lead, emotional ending. I like it:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=719069

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This is the one the guy doing slot used for us. I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't read all the ones we got across the wire.

11. Mira

Mira Member

Poole does a great job with emotion in the Observer piece, and I like Monte weaving in Newman's relationship with Baker in the Gaston feature.

Different, but all good.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me, too.

Several of the others didn't do it for me because they led with what was expected to happen or what people thought might happen instead of the dramatic stuff THAT DID HAPPEN!

Draft saved Draft deleted