1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which conference will lay a turd in the NCAA tournament this year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Temple isn't beating Arizona State.
    Washington isn't too likely to get bumped by Mississippi State.

Pac-10 isn't likely to fare well as a whole, but that statement is ripe for ridicule.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll change my avatar for the duration of the tourney if the Big 10 places more teams in the Sweet 16 than the Pac 10. Even though Obama is down on the Pac 10 as well.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I say all of this, and then I have FSU beating Pitt in my bracket and playing Duke in the regional final. :D

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As if there was any lack of enthusiasm for Herb Sendek and his guys ...

5. I'll agree on the Big Ten, but I disagree with those who say the league didn't deserve 7 bids.
    That may seem like a large number when you look at it in a vacuum, but tell me which team didn't deserve a bid and which team should have gotten in instead.

All 7 deserved a bid. It's just that too many of them are in the bottom of the at-large field, and thus the league overall isn't likely to have a good showing.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not so sure the Big Ten will have a turd-like stench. I think Purdue (healthy Hummel) or Michigan could make nice runs, but I think Illinois and/or Michigan State and/or Ohio State will disappoint. Sparty laid several turds the few times I saw them on TV this season.

Those Big Ten teams are never fun to play, though. Tough, physical defenses are mandatory up there in the cold, dark, miserable Midwest, and they're rarely fun for those SEC/ACC athletes to play against.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

sam, thanks for quoting idiot_network's post. at about 6 pm cdt we'll get to say goodbye to him for awhile.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pac-10 usually shows to reasonable measure of advantage in this thing . . . would be shocked if conference got embarassed.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

After the obvious SEC --- which will go 0-3 this week and be home by the weekend --- it's the Pac-10. No power teams at all this year.

UCLA, USC, Arizona and Cal all go out in the first round. Arizona State and Washington are toast in round 2.

As for the Big Ten? I can see Michigan State and Purdue making the Sweet 16.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Big Ten.

I only have Michigan State winning the first round. All others -- including Illinois and Purdue -- get bounced.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I could see Illinois falling in the first round, except that they play Western Kentucky. WKU pulled a first-round upset last year and that's damn hard to do two years in a row.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Purdue says your a turd.

Draft saved Draft deleted