1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which conference will lay a turd in the NCAA tournament this year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes on Louisville and Villanova.

UConn's regional just doesn't have that much to it, and Syracuse could just as easily play the hot hand card as the burned out one. Now, personally I don't have either in my final four, but I could certainly see it happening.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can't argue with those who say the Big Ten, because they did NOT deserve 7 bids.

But I think Cosmo's right on, too. ACC could struggle.

3. mb

mb Active Member

The SEC has an 8, a 9 and a 13. Best-case scenario is 2-3. Betting line would probably say 1-2. Not sure what would qualify as a "turd."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

UConn will not beat Memphis ... in a great Calhoun-Calipari love match!

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OU

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Not a fan of the Big East, but my bracket has 6 of them in the Elite 8. When I went back to fix that, I couldn't figure where to change it. I think they're really loaded this year (and helped by favorable seedings) while overall the field is weak this year.

If I'm wrong, the rest of the sj tourney pool will be very happy. :)

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Eesh. Worst of the three bigguns.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not the Big 10. SEC. or Pac-10.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cosmo, even Chapel Hill is vulnerable. With Ty Lawson, and moreso without. But they're likely the best bet ... channeling Captain Obvious.

Duke is in much better shape than it was six weeks ago. Now they're actually running an offense and firing up more than 3s by the dozen. When that works, they're not getting beat. If they're smart enough to adjust and not consistently lean on that crutch, they'll be contenders. Putting Elliott Williams in the starting lineup was a sharp move. He sets the tone for face-guarding defense, something that was lacking for a while.

Disagree on Florida State - sort of. Yes, Toney Douglas is the only serious offensive weapon but, short of raining 3s with shocking accuracy, how do you score on all that length that is locked in defensively? That's how the Seminoles made their mark. That's how Leonard Hamilton won ACC Coach of the Year. Big scorer and great all-around player in Douglas and the rest of the team gladly playing their defensive roles. Limited, yes, but dangerous if they continue to playing stifling defense.

Boston College - Agreed all the way around. This team defines inconsistent. Good enough to bust Chapel Hill in the Dean Dome and Duke at Chestnut Hill. Bad enough at times to cause everyone to scratch their heads.

Clemson is much better, but in a game down to the wire when some free throws need to be made, they're still vintage Clemson. Could cause lots of indigestion for Oliver Purnell.

Wake Forest - Almost as enigmatic as BC. If Jeff Teague gets going and this team cures the road woes, watch out. But the latter is why it lost to Georgia Tech (!), Miami and N.C. State on the road. Ouch.

Maryland - Maybe Gary Williams' best coaching job. The 2002 team had talent. This one has Greivis Vazquez and barely adequate role players. To get this team off the canvas and fighting again after an embarrassing outing in Durham is wondrous. That the Terps made it this far is a victory in itself.

Chapel Hill, Duke and Florida State can - and should - survive the weekend. Clemson has more than a decent chance. Good Wake Forest can join them, Bad Wake Forest could be gone in a hurry.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Pac-10. Easy.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I agree with His Excellent Holiness.

Draft saved Draft deleted