1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which college town papers are the least biased or homerish?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by King Of All Media, Apr 8, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Huh? The academics series made UofM look really bad. How would that make Ann Arbor homerish?

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Dead on with Madison ... I know plenty of people at the Wisconsin State Journal who would rather see the Badgers lose than win on any given night.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

that's just as bad

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Having spent a lot of time in the Bluegrass a couple of decades back, I'd sure as heck agree on Louisville and Lexington. UK sickos wanted to bomb the Herald-Leader for their investigation into UK basketball two decades back, and I was working on the Eric Manuel angle as part of that for a fellow Knight-Ridder paper in Georgia at the time.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Columbus has long been a brainwashed joke.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, I've never seen Cosby "devastated" after a UK loss, that would be a lot of devastation. He just covers his beat and when they pay bad, it's in his stories.

Now Clay I think is a tad homerish at times, but Story is just a great feature writer and I've never noticed a homer-ish vibe.

And definitely not Tipton. He's anything but.

The Courier-Journal isn't homerish towards Louisville or Lexington either.

Can't say anything about the other papers.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Knoxville ... It's not like their Web site is called GoVols.com or anything ...

8. That has everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with the writers at a paper.

I cringe at some of the homerish marketing my paper does when it comes to Local U's sports program, but it isn't reflected in the coverage.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it. It's hard to ignore a fastball down the middle, though.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Of course, this is the same paper that ran a headline after one of the Lady Vols national titles from the 90s "We Win."

11. I am sure a big part of the answer is that larger papers are less homerish. For example, is the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette a homer? How about the Miami Herald? How many colleges are in Boston and is the Globe homerish?
    I think we need some perspective on what qualifies as a "college town."

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

A town in which the college game is THE big game in town.

Miami, Boston, etc doesn't qualify.

Draft saved Draft deleted