1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which college team that has won a national title will NEVER win one again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 24, 2013.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

As an EL native (but UM alum) I've always wondered why Sparty doesn't do better. Pretty campus (much nicer than UM), crazy fan base, generous boosters, great facilities, attractive females, outstanding social scene, athlete-friendly admissions officers... Yet they haven't been to a Rose Bowl in 25 years and it was 20 years before that. No good reason for them not to be more competitive with OSU. Nick Saban could have gotten them there - but you'd think it would be more of a destination school than a stepping stone.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

same with Princeton football, the 28-time national champs.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I stand corrected. I just remember reading a couple years ago that he was a frequent guest of Hootie Johnson.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You never know. Maybe the Ivy League will someday allow its teams into the FCS tournament.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Syracuse fanbase will come if they see the team as a contender. They were drawing 40-45K in the 80s and early 90s. Years of poor to middling teams have worn away the fanbase.

The team, however, will continue to struggle, not only because, as someone else noted, the demographic changes, but also they have more competition for D-I players in the Northeast. 20 years ago, they had Penn State, Boston College and Pitt as their main competition, for D-I talent, with Rutgers and Temple occasionally in the mix. Now, those other two schools are more competitive, plus there's also UConn and Buffalo and ex-D-III schools, now I-AA teams like Albany and Stony Brook. Players who used to go to Syracuse and were additional bench depth now go to the other schools where they'll get a chance to play.

Oh, and there's that little factor known as the weather.

6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Since the most recent was 1960, many don't realize that Minnesota has 6 football national titles. The last time they won the Big Ten was 1967, and the last time they they lost as few as two Big Ten games was 1973. I cannot imagine a circumstance in which they win another national title.

Pitt also seems like quite a longshot. They haven't finished a season in the top ten since 1981.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wisconsin has a disputed national title (1942) and has been a BCS contender the last decade or so it's at least conceivable to see them winning an NC, but they are always going to be scrapping to out-recruit Michigan and Ohio State in the B1G.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

UTEP (formerly Texas Western, I think) basketball.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt will never win another national title mainly because the school's finest tradition is to be run by bumbling morons who can't decide whether they want big boy football or to be Wake Forest. They were a power under Jock Sutherland in the 20s-30s and rewarded him by making him so butthurt that he quit because the administration felt football needed de-emphasized.

They played with their dicks for 35 years until they decided to give a shit again and brought in Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill. One national title and two damn near titles in a decade later.....another fuckhead school president decides football needs de-emphasized. Mike Gotfried's shitcanned and in comes....Paul Hackett. Christ.

This is why a city which cares so much for the Steelers rarely pays attention to Pitt - and when they start to Pitt usually fucks it up. This school has a damn near 100 year history of not being able to get out of it's own way.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but that's something that can change. Hell, pretty much described the Steelers' entire history until the 1970s, too. Your point about demographic shifts is the much bigger obstacle.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Marquette basketball.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Like a place to get an education.

Draft saved Draft deleted