1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which college team that has won a national title will NEVER win one again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure it factored in the decision. I remember he made a comment, I'm not sure if the LSU job was open then too, but he said something that seemed to indicate that he didn't want to go somewhere that had won a title recently. I'm sure he had more than his fill of delusional fans who couldn't be happy with anything short of a national title when he was at Florida.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No one though Tech could win one in '90, either.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

TCU and SMU.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

SMU I agree with, but TCU's in the Big 12. If everything broke right, they could wind up in the national title game, particularly with a four-team playoff coming next year.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Any non-SEC team that has previously won one

[/survey results of every SEC fanboi]

6. Mizzougrad96

Does SMU still claim to have won a national title? I don't remember if they backed off that claim after the death penalty. I remember someone telling me that some organization voted them No. 1 in one of the Dickerson years and they flew that banner just like if it had come from AP or the coaches.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Iowa Pre-Flight

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They claim one from 1935, which is the year before the AP poll started.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Minnesota football.

Wyoming basketball.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think the playoff is going to make things harder. You probably won't see teams winning titles in three out of four years like Alabama has, but I doubt you're going to see a team come out of nowhere in the regular season and then roll off wins over the top teams in the country in the playoff.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it's nice to claim one in a year where they lost their bowl game...

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Alabama.

We can wish, can't we?

Amazing how at one time the Ivy League was the power in college football. Today, there's plenty else the Ivy League is that the SEC will never be.

Draft saved Draft deleted