1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which college team that has won a national title will NEVER win one again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This can be for football or basketball...

Football the choices seem pretty obvious: Colorado, BYU, Georgia Tech

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Never is a long time, Mizzou, but if you mean in our lifetimes (and even then, things change, all it takes is one good coach and a school with a laissez-faire attitude towards rules), I'd say I'd sure be surprised if UNLV wins another NCAA tournament in the near future.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Notre Dame. Last year required every leprechaun favor available and they still couldn't do it.

Also, BYU.

Basically, fuck religion.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The University of Chicago.

Oh. 1980.

Then any one of them can win again.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you're limiting it to since 1980, you've probably named them all.

Historically, any Ivy League team or service academy in football and San Francisco and Loyola of Chicago in basketball.

I'd be surprised if Pittsburgh is ever a serious national contender again in football.

In basketball, anybody can get hot for six games, so I wouldn't rule out anyone from a major conference. Still, it's hard to imagine NC State or UNLV being in the mix any time soon.

6. Mizzougrad96

Basketball is a tough one to say "Never" because you sign two great players, you could make a run.

7. Mizzougrad96

There doesn't have to be a limit. I just think it's interesting when you see teams that used to be national powers that have dropped off the college football map.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

UNLV basketball seems a longshot. I believe they're the last team to win it that could be considered a mid-major.
    Maryland basketball also seems light years away from contending again.

In football, it's hard to say "never" when talking about BCS conference programs with any sort of history. Or even any BCS conference team, really. All they need is the right coach and a couple of good recruiting classes to get in the mix, then a few lucky breaks in any given year to make a serious run at it. Hell, in the BCS era alone we've had Tennessee and LSU (both 40-plus years between titles) win it all, and Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Stanford, UCLA, Kansas State and West Virginia all be within a game or two of playing for a national championship. None of those are really NCAA blue bloods.
    If you can field a team good enough to win a BCS conference, you'll have a chance to play for a national title.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Saban went to Georgia Tech, I wouldn't bet against them winning a national title.

Would love to see him try at BYU, though. :D

10. Mizzougrad96

I would love to see something like that happen. Spurrier is kind of doing it at South Carolina, turning a program that has been mostly irrelevant into a Top 25 team, but he's never going to win a title there. The difference between South Carolina and Florida is that the majority of South Carolina boosters will be pretty content with 9-3 and 10-2 seasons. When Spurrier left Florida he told a story about how a booster had said, "Don't worry, we'll get them next year..." after they had finished as the No. 3 team in the country. It's easy to see how that could piss a coach off...

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I still believe that part of the reason Spurrier went to South Carolina was so he could play regularly at Augusta.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Army.

Draft saved Draft deleted