1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which collapse was--or will be--bigger?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 19, 2007.

?

Which baseball collapse was--or will be--bigger?

1. 1978 Red Sox

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 2004 Yankees in ALCS

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 2007 Red Sox (in progress)

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 2007 Mets (also, in progress)

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. 1969 Cubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1964 Phillies (thanks to Cape Fear for pointing out my ignorance)

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Phils. Hands down. Of course, there was also the 86 Angels who had that ALCS collapse too... Hmmm, wonder who the common thread was in that....

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I believe the vastly overrated manager has been mentioned already.

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

if you're referring to the 1995 series, the rangers won in six games. they lost game five at quebec and won the sixth at home.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

For some reason I remember them doing it again in the last few years.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

If Clay Buchholz is unflappable, what was that errant toss in the general direction of third yesterday? Looked like a flap to me.

How bad is Vlad's wing? Is he on the improve, or deteriorating? If he's not going to play at at least 90% efficiency, I want my prediction back.

Weighing in on the original question, that would be the '64 Phils, followed by the '95 Angels. Around here, the '95 story is all about the valiant Mariners--Jr., Edgar, the Big Unit and Buhner--but the real story remains the collapse of the Angels.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I will give you that, but in general, he has worked his way out of trouble with minimal damage.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

In the replay I saw, there was a look of bewilderment, almost shock, on the kid's face following the play. That's what led to my comment.

Sometimes we forget how young these guys are. When I was 21 I was futzing around the U, trying to figure out what part of Vietnam I was going to wind up in and which nurses at the U. hospital were most susceptible to bad poetry. (The answer to the latter question: none.)

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You fought in Vietnam? Wow.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

If you call lying on your nose in the mud with a .45 wrenched around on your hip to keep it dry "fighting", I guess you could say so. I was there, and on the edges too. No wow. Believe me.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The other side of the coin would be the 1993 Boston Bruins, who went 16-2 in their last 18 games (including eight in a row to end the season) to win the Adams Division, then got swept in the first round by Buffalo. So much for momentum.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's the Bruins. They always choke.

If Brian Sutter was the coach then (think he was), that would explain it further.

Draft saved Draft deleted