1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which collapse was--or will be--bigger?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 19, 2007.

?

Which baseball collapse was--or will be--bigger?

1. 1978 Red Sox

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 2004 Yankees in ALCS

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 2007 Red Sox (in progress)

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 2007 Mets (also, in progress)

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. 1969 Cubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1964 Phillies (thanks to Cape Fear for pointing out my ignorance)

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

While flipping between the Mets and Yanks tonight, I began thinking about teams which had huge leads only to spit the bit. Then I thought about how the 2007 Mets and Red Sox would be remembered, should they blow their divisional leads and finish out of the playoffs.

So, of the five listed, which collapse will be bigger in the annals of history?

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

You left off the 1964 Phils, 6 1/2 up with 12 to play. The Mets collapse will be 7 up with 17 to play and no team ever coughed up a lead that big with so few to play.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Neither the Sox nor Mets will finish pissing this away.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The California Angels in 1995 lost AL West in a one-game playoff to Seattle after blowing a 10 1/2 game lead.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks for pointing that out, Cape_Fear.

I added the 1964 Phillies to this list.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I voted for the '04 Yanks. It never had happened before in baseball, and only ... what ... four times in professional sports history?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, this collapse was pretty crazy.
    Plus, I don't think you can have the 2007 Red Sox on there because even if they blow the division they will still make the playoffs.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

As a Cubs fan, I want to thank the Mets for being horrible long enough to give the Braves something to play for this weekend against Milwaukee :).

Don't think the Mets will actually blow it, though. And the 2007 Red Sox collapse isn't as huge of a deal, because the division champ/wild card basically means one game's worth of homefield advantage in the playoffs.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

As far as how the 2007 Mets and Red Sox are remembered, it depends on whether either or both of them succeed in pissing down their legs. If they both lose the division, this season will be remembered more than if only one of them (or neither of them) gags.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1995 Angels have to be included on this list.

That said, the answer is (and remains) the 1964 Phillies.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Just ask Joe Morgan

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

'51 Dodgers, up 13 1/2 in mid-August lose best-of-3 playoff to Giants on Thomson's "Shot heard 'round the world."

Can't include 2004 Yanks -- biggest choke in history -- because it was post-season not regular season

Draft saved Draft deleted