1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which celebrity death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Dec 28, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Williams was difficult to deal with because I loved so much of his work and because it was a challenging discussion with my daughter. I can't say I was shocked, though, given his history with substance abuse.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bonzo's death, like Keith Moon's and to some extent Cobain's, was not exactly shocking.

John Entwistle's was -- he had the public reputation of being the strait-laced member of The Who.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My father died days later. He's buried in the same row at Arlington Cemetary as Grissom and Chaffee (I think it was White who was buried elsewhere). I know Grissom is in the row.

maumann likes this.
  4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Not sure whether she qualifies as a celebrity, but when Judy Resnik died in the Challenger accident our entire community shut down. She attended my grade school (which now is named for her), junior high and high schools. The high school library also bears her name. She was a larger-than-life figure and remarkably has been gone almost as long as she lived. Some of her remains are buried in a Challenger memorial at Arlington. Seeing that in person was very moving. I had never been to Arlington and didn't know the memorial existed.

maumann likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The other thing about Williams' death that was particularly hard was that he brought so much laughter and joy into the world - I'm sure I'm not the only one who wished he had that same laughter and joy.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Entwhistle died the day before my wedding. My best man and I had grown up huge Who fans and i saw the news first. I told him as we were getting beer that morning. Without missing a beat, he goes , “oh wow, he was totally my fourth favorite member of The Who.”

7. Starman

Pretty much any of the Sixties rock dinosaurs who are still alive and touring, I'd be pretty surprised to hear of them dying by drink or OD.

Even Keith, at this point.

You figure if they were gonna go out in drug-fueled oblivion, they'd have done it 30 years ago.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Huh? Entwistle was known to have a pretty crazy lifestyle. "My Wife" wasn't pure fiction. He frequently had money trouble (Pete would agree to tour to help him out) because of his profligate style. Roger Daltrey was the straight laced one. He is a saint for putting up with the bunch of them.

9. Starman

Well, compared to Moon, whose partying was off the charts, and Pete, who played out his booze and drug dalliances publicly (although usually a couple years after the fact) Entwistle seemed fairly laid-back. But obviously you never really know for sure. For all we know Paul McCartney is mainlining heroin.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Star didn't know, so it was not known.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

“Jason Matthew Thirsk, this one’s for you!”

Draft saved Draft deleted