1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which celebrity death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Dec 28, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been created before, but I am just curious to know which death of a celebrity affected you the most?

I know some say celebrities death should not affect you emotionally since you do not know this person, however, I completely disagree with that assumption.

Let's hear your stories.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Right now, I'd have to say Tom Petty's death affected me the most.

I don't have a big time story for it, but I do remember listening to one of his concerts with The Heartbreakers on the radio and wondering what the hell was the big deal.

Then I saw him live on the Highway Companion tour. Even without Stevie Nicks there, I would have known what the big deal was. With her there, it just added to the magic.

I sang "Seminole Wind" by John Anderson at karaoke one night (one of a few times I performed that song), and someone came up to me afterwards and said I sounded like Tom Petty. I wasn't going for that sound, but I took it as a compliment.

The day we lost him, I remember feeling really awful. For his family, his friends, his bandmates, his fans, and for Nicks.

John B. Foster likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I would say Prince, both because of his stature as a great musician/performer, and because my wife is a huge fan and took it personally. Plus it was a surprise ... no one knew of his opiod problems.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The guy who was good in The Client.

5. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

I am not sure he's a celebrity in the traditional sense, but Paul Allen's death has affected me way more than I thought it would. I am huge Blazers fan, and he put his heart and soul into the franchise. Of all his passions, I think his true love was the Blazers. Now that he's gone, it does make me wonder about the future of the team. Also, the stuff he did outside of the sports realm, behind the scenes is incredible.

But maybe Robin Williams. Never saw it coming, and he was just an amazing talent and person. Ugh, and now I am thinking of Chris Farley, who is still my favorite actor.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Phil Hartman.
    And John Candy.

Good guys gone in a blink.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

David Bowie's.

8. John B. Foster

For me, it was Michael Jackson. I know it may be weird to some. I am just a big fan of his. I have all his albums and have seen him in concert more than a handful of times.

Like one of his song says, gone too soon.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Only one to which I've ever had an emotional reaction was Jerry Garcia, and it was a delayed reaction.
    Many weeks after his death I was at the bar with some friends and very intoxicated. I got quite weepy.
    And the friends in question were not Dead fans. It was a maudlin display for which I was justifiably mocked for a long, long time.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Always sad when a child molester dies.

JC likes this.
  11. John B. Foster

Okay Trump supporter/defender.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You got a sad when a pop star who molested kids died.

No amount of whataboutism can change that.

His career was over, living longer would have only meant more kids would have been abused.

Draft saved Draft deleted