1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which came first, KFC or the fish?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Remind me not to try KFC's new Mystery Snacker.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Oof. Wild story about the rats.

In Houston we have a TV news consumer advocate named Marvin Zindler (the man who got the real Chicken Ranch shut down and was parodied by the Melvin P. Thorpe character in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas), and Zindler does (did?) a weekly show talking about restaurants which had failed health inspections. He's also famous for singing a rap song called Slime in the Ice Machine.

However, thanks to years of watching, I've always been worried that the restaurant where I ate last night will show up on the list tonight. Ugh.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Why is this any different than McDonald's having the filet of fiish sandwich?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The most disturbing part is the video. More rats than customers in the restaurant, I bet.

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

This is OT, but does anybody else find it weird that the first KFC wasn't in Kentucky at all but Salt Lake City?

I guess it wouldn't sell as well if it were called "Utah Fried Chicken."

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think that's the first franchise store. Col. Sanders started his business and his first restaurant in Kentucky, thus the name.

7. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

At any rate, not a big fan of KFC. Or fried chicken in general.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm partial to the KFC rice bowl, sans gravy. Mashed potato bowls just make me want to pile excrement on a plate.

9. boots

boots New Member

I've got an 85 year-old aunt that will kick your ass if you put a chicken in front of her. No joke. She does not like the taste or smell of the fowl.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Colonel started by selling his recipe to existing restaurants who paid him essentially a royalty.

Some of you have heard this story before but I met the Colonel a number of years ago. He was up visiting his daughter in Hamilton, Ontario and my buddy and I were having breakfast at one of the restaurants that sold his chicken. The Colonel happened to be there having breakfast with the owner.

We started making small talk and then I asked him casually, what advice he had for the restaurants who were selling his chicken.

He looked at me and said, "Don't fuck with the recipe".

Words to live by.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

In their Chinese stores, KFC serves soup. They have quite a variety of soup and it is supposedly pretty good.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One time when I was visiting kinfolk in North Carolina I noticed the KFCs down there sold milkshakes. And not just chocolate and vanilla; they advertised 12 flavors. Never did get one. Who among us wouldn't drive a hundred miles for an Original Recipe shake?

Draft saved Draft deleted