1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athletes/coaches do you think get a free pass from the press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 22, 2009.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

When Thompson the elder was coaching, the media loathed him. Don't know about now, since I rarely hear about him.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Danica gets a free pass? She was caught speeding at home in early December (54 in a 35mph, I think), paid a $180 or whatever fine and it made the front page of ESPN.com and others. In a race, if she says one cross word on the radio, it's played over and over again and analyzed. Before the 500 last year when she hit a crewman in the pits -- an incident where she absolutely was not at fault -- it was a huge hullabaloo.

She's under quite a microscope, if you ask me. Only way I'd consider saying she gets a free pass is in the fact that the IndyCar Series' regular media corps can fit in a Suburban.

And no, I'm not her agent :)

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Ummmm.... Are you perhaps thinking of Skip Holtz?

And whoever said Kobe Bryant, great call. He's gone from a petulant brat who cheated on his wife at best and raped someone at worst to sweetness and light.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He does that on TV. Real-life Tommy is a suspicious, incredibly profane, often nasty and manipulative little man about whom little good is said.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Good question. This sounds vaguely like the fanboy whine, "Our team never gets any credit" in reverse.

About Paterno: I don't cover college football, I've never met Paterno. But I must confess I get a kick out of his grouchiness and arrogance from afar. I understand fully that it's probably a pain in the ass to cover PS because of him, but I can also appreciate his feistiness when people are constantly asking him when he's going to leave. As big a dickhead as he must be for the beat guys, he's also a fascinating character from this distance. He strikes me as this crazed old man who is holding a giant university hostage.

I suspect that's one of the differences between the national coverage he gets and the feelings of those who toil on the beat daily.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Holding it hostage? Geez, the guy got his team to the freakin' Rose Bowl. I have no up-close knowledge of what's going on in the Happy Valley, but from here it sure seems like Joe ain't exactly chopped liver yet.

7. Smasher_Sloan

It hasn't always been as rosy as it was this past season.

There's a story that the university president showed up on Joe's doorstep a few years ago to suggest he step down, and Joe basically shooed the guy away. Since then, nobody bothers him. They can't even get him to agree to an order of succession.

From what I understand, Joe does very little hands-on coaching these days. He swoops in to close the deal on special recruits, but otherwise the heavy lifting is done by the staff.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Isn't that the way Bear Bryant used to do it?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not necessarily... Bear died well before the same age Paterno is now... so his ghost just haunts Bammers, instead of the real thing...

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

I didn't mean Bear got that old, rather that he had his minions do what Smasher called the heavy lifting.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how 'bout if he were never born? how would he stack up then?

12. I heard that Urban Meyer was once fired as the QB coach at a FCS school in the mid 1990s

Draft saved Draft deleted