1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athletes/coaches do you think get a free pass from the press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think "free pass" is vague and often in the eye of the beholder, subject to thinking in terms of generalities. Coaches often assess the media that way (in terms of generalities, not with specifics), and we hate it when they do.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

Joe King...sorry, I meant the elder John Thompson.
    what about Lou Holtz? does he fall into the department of "loathed by beat writers, but loved by every now and then media types?"

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am just throwing this name out there because I never rubbed shoulders with him, but maybe some of the older board members could chime in this person.

Valvano

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's so incredibly awesome.

5. If it's true.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Valvano is a great one -- he cheated his way to a national title, got caught, got the school put on probation and then gets cancer and becomes a hero and this symbol of courage and greatness while guys like Tark an John Calipari are treated like outlaws for doing or allegedly doing the same stuff.

And here is another one -- Jim Leyland -- perhaps the most overrated coach in any sport, ever.

And more to the point -- he bailed on his contract when things started going south in Pittsburgh. He bailed on his contract when things started going south in Florida and in Colorado and it is only a matter of time when he'll bail on his contract in Detroit.......

He is no different than the Nick Sabans and Bobby Petrinos of this world and yet they are viewed as traitors and scumbags and Leyland is treated as some sort of high character guy and mostly because the media likes him.

What he did in Pittsburgh, Colorado and Florida is no different and no less shameful than what Petrino did in Atlanta except the fact that Petrino left a few weeks before the season ended.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

How about Tony Dungy?
    Yes, he won a Super Bowl, but his career playoff record is 9-10 overall, 7-6 with Indy and if you take away the 4-0 postseason where the Colts won the Super Bowl, that's 5-10, 3-6, which would rank among the worst for coaches who've coached that many games. His talked about by the media like the greatest coach around, but his postseason record proves he's mediocre.

9. It's true. The chick's stage name was Kylie Ireland. It might not have been reported in the Trib or Sun-Times when it happened, but everyone knew about it.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Kobe Bryant.
    LeBron
    Lance Armstrong

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, it is horrible to go to the postseason ten years in a row, to win like 77 percent of your games, to win a Super Bowl and to win seven division titles.

And I'm sure he'll think of you during his acceptance speech in Canton a few years from now.......

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Taking away a guy's Super Bowl season seems to make sense in evaluating his record.

Draft saved Draft deleted