1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athletes/coaches do you think get a free pass from the press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Overall agree on list sans Tebow. You could expand Coach K to Duke basketball overall.

Add to list :
    Rick Pitino
    Bill Parcells
    Peyton Manning
    Chad Johnson
    Ray Lewis

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

How does Chad Johnson get a free pass? Every little thing he does is shown on a constant loop.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Due to the all-pervasive influence of Dick Vitale, all Division I basketball coaches, as a collective unit, probably qualify.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Parcells frequently got ripped here in Boston (I did some of it). I wouldn't ever write about an athlete fucking around, because who cares? Armstrong? Well, prove it.
    Jordan was OK with out of town media. Best he ever was was as a baseball player, failing and happy.
    Woods is a control freak, but he can be an OK interview. What's there to rip him for?
    Geno is like a cartoon character of a basketball coach.
    Steve Spurrier gets a free pass? Not in Washington, he didn't.
    My point is, there's a lot less to criticize about successful people in sports. None of the names Mizzou mentioned have been guilty (so far as we know, Armstrong again) of anything but garden-variety human failings, pomposity for Jackson, etc.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Most people 'round these parts realize Geno is an asshole, but you're right, he hardly ever gets called out on it.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

I'd have Lance Armstrong at the top of my list because his situation with overcoming cancer serves as a buffer to any strenuous, revealing stuff on him.
    Tim Tebow could be similar in that his parents are missionaries, his religious beliefs, that whole thing.
    So in both cases, the media too often steps very lightly as not to come across as Satan with tape recorders.
    Would John Thompson possibly fall into this category?

7. Funny, the things I've heard from guys I know who've been there since he first stepped foot on campus (press and otherwise) say otherwise.

I'd agree with the list sans Tebow. He's done nothing he needed a free pass for.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

And no one ever will.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

what about Tommy LaSorda? does he make this list? again, just asking. never have interviewed him or been a part of the media that follows, but just wondering. he comes across as, how can I say it, "good ol' Uncle Joe holding court at a backyard barbecue?"

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

The ex-Georgetown basketball coach or the current one?

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Parcells was killed by the Dallas media before and just after he left. Now, not so much, but he still has many, many media detractors.

Manning? Are you kidding? Until he won the Super Bowl, no one took more shots despite tremendous production than Peyton. And you still hear it when the Colts flame out in the playoffs.

Ray Lewis, I'll give you. He's gone from a possibly murderous thug to a brilliant leader in the public's perception.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Like most of those mentioned, beat guys didn't like him, columnist loved him. If you're there every day, his schtick wears thin. If you show up once in awhile, he can charm you.

Draft saved Draft deleted