1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athletes/coaches do you think get a free pass from the press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wrong. It is undisputed that Harrison was the guy fighting with one of the victims moments before he was shot, even Harrison now admits this. And there is ballistic evidence proving the bullets came from Harrison's gun. This is "real evidence" separate and apart from the eyewitness evidence that also incriminates Marvin.

Bullshit. No prosecutor needs "absolute proof" to go forward, that's ridiculous. Abraham has enough to file charges in the ballistic evidence, proof of the preceding scuffle, and eyewitness evidence placing the gun in Harrison's hands. She simply made a judgment call not to because she didn't like her witnesses or her chances at trial (perhaps Marvin's bank account and high priced lawyers had something to do with that?). Other prosecutors easily could've decided the other way with the same evidence.

And I don't know what "word" you're hearing, but all of the actual evidence that has been disclosed suggests precisely the opposite, that Marvin did this alone but is getting a pass. I've yet to hear anything implicating anyone else. Care to clarify what you know to the contrary?

2. school of old

school of old New Member

I'm still a little bit confused about the definition of "free pass", but ...

Assuming that we can agree on the fact that someone is getting a free pass, what do we do about it?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think things get interesting when a prominent member of the staff becomes part of an athlete's circle.

Wilbon, who I've known for years and respect 99.9 percent of the time, became Jordan's whore when MJ was with the Wizards. Wilbon ripped Michael Leahy every chance he got and I'm guessing made Leahy's job pretty difficult at times. To be fair, Leahy still wrote the stories and the book, but had to go on the website of the paper where he was working and read a colleague ripping him. Not cool.

Reilly is or was that tight with Armstrong. A friend who used to work at SI told me that Reilly flew to Europe several times to hang out with Armstrong back when he was dating Sheryl Crow. SI was billed for all of the trips and I think all it got out of it was one weekly column.

Could Reilly have gotten a story like that killed? I would hope not, but you never know.

There is no question SI suffered when Jordan shut them out. I'm guessing they didn't want to risk that with the handful of athletes who they can put on the cover and immediately see a significant sales bump (I would argue that Armstrong, Woods, Jordan and maybe LeBron are at that level.)

4. The Life

The Life Member

Dwyane Wade gets a free pass from both refs and the media. The divorce stuff is his personal life, no doubt, but it seems like those allegations would have been a big deal had they been anybody else.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

LaDainian Tomlinson gets to say whatever he wants. He gets to whine after games. He gets to pout on the sidelines under his tinted visor during them. He gets to call people out. I don't read the San Diego papers, but nationally, he's faultless.

6. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned Sammy Sosa. Virtually the entire Chicago sports media - TV sportscasters, newspaper beat writers and columnists covered for Sosa while he was a Cubs star. Whether it was laughing with Sammy as he used his ridiculous "Flintstone's Vitamins" explanation for his power numbers, the non reporting on the irregularities with his charity, or attending his off-season birthday parties in the Dominican Republic, Sosa could do no wrong in the reports from the Chicago media. Barry Rozner of the Daily Herald was the lone exception in the Chicago media who pointed out that it was all an act and that Sosa was a selfish ballplayer. At the end of his time in Chicago, many still wouldn't hold Sammy responsible for his actions but instead criticized Cubs management from letting 'Sammy be Sammy'. Some of them still make excuses for Sosa and won't condemn him like they easily do with McGwire and Bonds.

7. micke77

micke77 Member

Mizzougrad96...that's fascinating about what you mentioned about reilly-armstrong connection. had not heard much about that before. amazing.

8. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

Lock this thread. I am a liberal by nature person (aren't most of us in this profession) but I am honestly scared at what has become of the media. We rip people for cheering on press row (and should) but give a free pass to media that worship the man and aren't tough on him. We are so glad that the cowboy is gone that we don't hold him accountable.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Grudge, he's been in office for one week. Not sure what sins you think he should be held accountable for yet.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm bumping this thread because the Michael Phelps bong picture has yet to make a US paper.

For shame...

Draft saved Draft deleted