1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athletes/celebrities would you want your kids to look up to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It seemed like there for a while, every time I had a "hero" that I would want my kid to emulate, they turned into an ass for one reason or another: George Brett, Julius Erving, Kirby Puckett ...

The ones that seem to pass the test of time, along with some newer athletes:

* Kevin Durant. Doesn't care about things like posses and large markets.
    * Avery Johnson. Seemed like he was having fun.
    * David Robinson and Tim Duncan.
    * Tony Gwynn. Quite sure there's never been a bad word said about him.
    * Paul Molitor and Robin Yount. See "Tony Gwynn."
    * Billy Butler. Nice guys may not finish first, but they finally get an All-Star nod.
    * Roger Federer.
    * Rafael Nadal.
    * Barry Sanders. Acted like he'd seen the end zone before.
    * Tony Gonzalez.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tim Tebow has taken some early steps toward being a role model.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Part of being a fan is wearing their jersey, along with the name. It doesn't mean they are being idolized.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Harmon Killebrew
    Oscar Robertson

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Personally I think it is lame when anyone who wears someone else's name on their back. I want to make sure my kids knows it is great to be a fan but the only name that should be on their back is their own.

The idolization starts when your fandom usurps your own name by putting an athlete's name on your back.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

None. I'd rather have a kid look up to his or her immediate or extended family and his or her teachers as role models.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damn right. Nothing douchier. Any customized jersey should come with a popped collar.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Sorry, just to be clear, not saying put their own name on their back of a jersey of a team they like, wear the jersey with no name on the back.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

We will have to agree to disagree with this. I just don't see anything wrong with wearing a player's name on the back.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've never understood how people can wrap themselves around the life of a celebrity -- athlete or otherwise -- and think they must be like that person. It's one thing to be a fan, it's another altogether different to use someone you don't even know as your guiding light in life.

If they had to look up to some one, it is too early to attach much to these young guys, but Wayne Gretzky, Steve Nash, Peyton Manning, Roy Halladay, Mike Weir, Clara Hughes, Melissa Hollingsworth, Silken Laumann, Michelle Stilwell would all be at the top of the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted