1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athletes/celebrities would you want your kids to look up to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Which athletes/celebrities would you want your kids to idolize?

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the word "idolize" but those are a few of the NFL players I would want my kids to "look up to"

Not sure why there is Tebow hatred. I certainly understand why people root against the guy, but wouldn't you want your kids to look up to someone who does so much charity work and stuff like that. You can look up to the guy and not want to become a preacher.

2. Mizzougrad96

Joe Montana was definitely the athlete I looked up to most as a kid with George Brett a relatively close second.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm pretty sure my dad was very proud that I was such a big fan of David Lee Roth and Dwight Gooden.

I started looking up to Chipper when I found out how many Hooters chicks he was banging. Not sure the parents of Atlanta were all too crazy to find that out, though.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Drew Brees is no idol. Well, maybe his own.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Why on earth would you want your kids to idolize anybody?

I worked with a coach once who I respected greatly and when he was asked if he was a role model for kids, he said no. He didn't mind being an example, but not a role model.

One of our problems today is that kids idolize the athletes, singers, etc. who turn out to be absolutely terrible examples. They teach our youth all that is bad about the world and none of the good.

Whatever happened to a man's word being unbreakable? Morals? Nowadays, people say one thing today and something different tomorrow and you can't trust anybody. Everybody is out to et theirs and they don't care who they step on to get it done.

If you want your kids to idolize the famous, then you are asking to have a kid who is all fucked up.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think the word "idolize" is throwing this thread off... How about "Look up to" or "be a fan of"

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, there's not much difference between role model and example.
    A person, young or old, can admire somebody and aspire to follow that person's example, but that doesn't mean one must embrace every aspect of the role model's behavior or personality.

For example, I like Woody allen's work but I find much of his personal life despicable.
    My father was a huge fan of William F. Buckley Jr. and named me after the man. But although my father embraced much of Buckley's political philosophy, he did not embrace every facet of that philosophy.

Whether Charles Barkely wants to be a role model or not, he was for many. However, admiring Barkley doesn't mean one must admire every facet of his personality or admire all of his behavior.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

[​IMG]

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When you're searching for heroes, you don't have to go far
    'cause they don't hit a baseball or play a guitar
    You won't find 'em on the TV; you won't find 'em in a book
    You'll find 'em right in front of you; take a closer look

When you're searching for heroes, you don't have to go far
    'cause they don't run for office or own fancy cars
    You won't find 'em on the big screen; you won't find 'em off the hook
    You'll find 'em right in front of you; take a closer look

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Was talking about this yesterday, and the answer is NOT "none of them."

For young women around here, U.S. heptathlete Hyleas Fountain is a great role model. She's always presented herself in an intelligent, professional manner, even as a teen-ager. She has done things the right way. She thinks about more than herself.

They're out there if you don't get too bitter to look for them.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Joe Paterno.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So if a kid's dying wish is for John Cena to fuck his mom, it'll all come full circle.

Draft saved Draft deleted