1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which athlete fell furthest and fastest off the talent cliff?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 12, 2009.

?

Which athlete fell furthest and fastest off the talent cliff?

1. Chuck Knoblauch

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. David Duval

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. Mike Tyson

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Steve Blass

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Andruw Jones

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. Jim Carey - NHL

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. David Ortiz

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

None of them are with the notable exception of Nate Burleson. The signing bonuses are the points of emphasis. That money is guaranteed, and if the players are released early, those signing bonuses count against the team as "dead money" against their salary caps.

The reason Burleson's deal is guaranteed is a "poison pill" the Seahawks threw into the offer sheet saying that after a few games in his first season that all the money in his deal is guaranteed. An exception to the NFL rule for certain.

2. Bumped to reflect my current mood.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I think there was some kind of stipulation in Burleson's deal that if he played a certain number of games in the state of Minnesota, six I believe, the whole thing was guaranteed.

That was what made the Vikings not match the deal, if I recall. The whole thing was a pissing match cause Seattle was angry the Vikings swooped in and got Hutchinson.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly, Ross. It was little more than a ham-handed attempt by the Seahawks to "get back" at the Vikings for signing Steve Hutchinson.

Um, most would take Hutchinson over Nate Burleson. While apples and oranges, it's still not much of a contest. And Paul Allen owes Burleson a lot of money.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Not sure he's in the same category as some others on here, but he definitely dropped off the face of the earth. First time I ever saw him was in this photo in a book my dad gave me when I was 8. Still one of the coolest sports photos I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Burleson has done very little since he got here, now he is going to be a very highly paid third receiver.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Derek Sanderson gets my vote. Life pictorial and first $1M contract in hockey, to sleeping in the park a few years later. Granted, it wasn't from one year to the next, but it was quite the epic fall.

Kordell Stewart is also a good choice.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Marion Jones.

Draft saved Draft deleted