1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whew, that was close...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I took my first trip to a Mexican bar when I was 15. Didn't realize until a few years later how dangerous that really was.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Closest I've come to death was dying...for about 4 or 5 minutes.

July 17, 1985. Hit while training on a bike. Thank God for a man named Michael Lewis, who saved my life by administering CPR. Twenty years later I still pray for him.

Nearly six weeks in a drug-induced coma, but other than some lingering scars (including a frankenstein one on my skull that will never be seen unless my hair falls out) no lingering effects.

The human body is an amazing thing.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

OK, I think nobody's going to top that one.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

WHAT THE HELL?

He doesn't beat mine!!! I had 38 stitches!!! I was cold!!! ;)

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Maybe if you'd been the deer instead of the guy who'd hit it, you'd have a shot.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

But, but...
    Did I mention I had a bad cut? ON MY CALF!!!
    He didn't even remember his ordeal. I was awake the whole time!!!

7. joe

joe Active Member

Solution: Duct tape, administered liberally.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Several years ago fighting a CRP grass fire. Flames about 15-feet high, fanned by your typical-for-our-state 25 m.p.h. winds. Chief told us to go to the head and knock it down. I'm on the front of the truck with hose in hand (hanging curveball), and a newbie, being the driver, had to get the pump started. F&*^ing pump wouldn't start. A veritable hell is bearing down on us, and he can't start the friggin' pump. Finally it does start, and that shit is so close to us all we could do was carve a path to the burned area. You're supposed to fight grass fires from the burned area (for reason stated above), but when the chief tells you to go to the head and knock it down, well, you do it.
    Lesson learned for the newbie (and I knew it but didn't practice it) ... start the fucking pump and make sure you have water BEFORE you enter the shit storm.

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Did you knock her out
    of the park, or was she just
    a ground-rule double?

My first Haiku.

Damn. Wasn't that bad, either. I'm racing UTshooter to 500 posts. UTshooter is in the lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted