1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where's your refund going?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 31, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know this might be stupid, but does anyone here use flexible spending if their employer offers it?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Nein.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm paying myself back (well, my savings account), and then the rest of it goes toward my credit card.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You should put some of it to removing unnecessary S's.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I need a new recliner. But I need to pay off my debt more.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Bite me, Mikey.

:D

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If it is offered and you have kids in daycare, it is a no-brainer.

$100 turns into $125

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Good thing I don't have kids or have any plans to make some any time soon. I will, however, continue to practice making them.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I got some very good advice a few years back: Don't be in such a hurry to pay off student loans, especially if you have other debt. A student loan is likely to be the least interest you'll ever pay on borrowed money, ever (I'm paying mine back at like 3 percent). Plus whatever amount you do pay in interest is a tax deduction.

If you have higher-interest debt like credit cards or a car payment, get those out of the way first. If you don't have an emergency savings fund of at least three months of expenses, build that up second. Then take a stab at the student loans, especially if you can knock one out with a big lump payment. But if you've got a debt load that you know you'll be paying for the next 5-10 years, don't throw a chunk of money at it now.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I suspect Sony will get some of it for the warranty transaction with the TV.

After that: Baltimore! I hope ...

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You might enjoy that a little bit too much.

I KNOW FOAF would... :p

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm only paying 2 percent on my car loan. Of course, I also put a big chunk down too.

But yea, student loans are very low interest. When I had mine, it was 5-6 percent, but I paid that off about four months ago (woo hoo).

Draft saved Draft deleted