1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where's your refund going?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 31, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

If mine works out as it usually does, my refund will barely be enough for drinks and dinner.
    Either that or I'll owe 50 bucks or so.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I wish wish wish I was getting one this year but, since I've been working as an independent contractor, I'm betting I owe money. Which blows.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Assuming there is one, a new bed. Twelve years on the current Springs Of Death is more than plenty, thank you.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Do our American friends get to claim moving expenses that aren't covered by your new employer?

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Credit card bill (and bury that f'er in the backyard) and vacation fund.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No idea. My last two moves have been paid. But that counts as income somehow, so I have to wait to get that form too.

7. I'll second that. Sadly, very sadly, I can't remember the last time I didn't have credit card debt...but that will change and I'm not touching that thing for a few months (hopefully).

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Counts as income? That's warped, considering the expense involved.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is a moving expense form (can't remember the number) that will allow you to show what the move actually cost and how much you were reimbursed. thus negating most if not all of the reimbursement. The reimbursement, per se, is not taxable income unless it is more than the move actually cost.

10. imjustagirl

Right. But I wasn't reimbursed...it was paid for by the company. So that's a benefit, and therefore taxable. Or was the last time I had to do it.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

They hired the moving company and sent it to your old place? They gave you a stipend for mileage, meals etc. for your drive from old locale to new before you made the trip?
    You did not put out one cent up front?

12. imjustagirl

Well, they paid me back for mileage like three weeks later. Otherwise yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted