1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's the outrage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

One deployed, but not fully.

And Devil ... yes, they have brakes. No, they aren't strong enough to stop the car. They're used more for steering purposes than anything else.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But the nature of the sport just plays into these types of deaths.

What I was thinking is that there is no outrage because there really is nothing you can do when your car blows up at 200 or 300 MPH.

Kind of like sky diving. People die when the parachute does not open. Not a damn thing you can do about that.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well played, sir...

Question for the nervous nellies: Anyone forcing drag-race drivers into their cars at gunpoint?

Didn't think so.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

As someone who pays minimal attention (but attention nonetheless) to NHRA, is there any reason the wall curves to the left beyond the gravel pit? Would a straight wall be any better of an option, or does the curve (in theory) prevent wayward cars from going into the trees beyond?

I don't ever remember seeing that before, but that may simply because I haven't paid close enough attention.

(On a far more light-hearted note, I chuckled at the "X" at the end of the track on the satellite view of 2MCM's link. The X prevents any confusion with runway 6 off to the right there - Attn pilots: Do NOT land here, this is a dragstrip, not the runway you are looking for.)

Draft saved Draft deleted