1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's the "LUV," Southwest?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Has anyone else noticed that Southwest isn't quite so cheap anymore? Aside from a few cheap routes that nobody would want to fly, you can't fly anywhere for less than $250 or $300 roundtrip anymore, even with months of advance notice. All the special cheap-ass internet fares seem to have gone by the wayside.

It's been steadily increasing since the fall, at least, so it's not just because of the recent oh-shit-all-our-planes-are-death-traps unpleasantness.

Anyone know any secrets? Why can't a guy fly from Chicago to Vegas or New York or L.A. or Florida or any of the other places I've had to go for less than $300 anymore?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They had to raise the rates to pay for all the lawsuits.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I looked at Southwest for the SportsJournalists.com outing, and it was easily $200 more than any other flight I found.

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Southwest locked in the price of their fuel using options for quite a while, but they weren't able to do that forever. Once the price of fuel stayed high long-term, they had to start buying fuel at higher prices. Higher cost of fuel = higher cost of plane ticket.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Same with JetBlue.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

$619 to Seattle, though?

I'm doing $420 on United. Hell, I could do JetBlue with TV and radio for $500.

7. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Sucks.

Amazing how drastically your travel plans change when it suddenly costs $400 more for the two of you to fly than it used to. I didn't realize how much my, ahem, fabulous jet-setting lifestyle depended entirely on Southwest!

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Had to raise the prices to fix all the defective airplanes and pay the $10.2M proposed federal fine, Max.

9. Damn, I thought I was going to look like the airline industry expert, but someone beat me to it. Their price increases have everything to do with their low-priced fuel options ending; the increases predate the recent judgments against them.

Southwest is still the best bargain for short-range flights (i.e. Chicago-Detroit, Philly-Boston), but on longer trips you can find better deals elsewhere.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd rather drive if I had my druthers, thank you very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted