1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's the fire water and wampum?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is why college students should not be allowed to use song lyric leads and especially not headlines.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The link above didn't work. I tried linking to it, too, but it still wouldn't work.

Anyhow, here's a recap. I burst out laughing, amazed that any newspaper - even a student paper - would do this.
    --------------
    A student newspaper at California State University, Long Beach, is apologizing for running a negative commentary on an American Indian campus event that was "construed by many as an assault" on Native American culture.

In the article, headlined "Pow Wow Wow Yippee Yo Yippy Yay," the campus editor of The Union Weekly espoused an "unflattering view" toward a recent campus Pow Wow. He equated the annual cultural event staged by the school's American Indian Studies program and American Indian Student Council with a "large, Native American themed flea market."

The student writer specifically mocked the food- at one point comparing frybread to "a Mexican pizza from Taco Bell, but sh*ttier"- and a traditional dance that involved some spectators throwing money to the performers. As he noted about the latter, "The entire scene felt disingenuous and cheap. Donations are great, and necessary, tossing them unceremoniously on the ground is crass and borderline obscene. Even the homeless have hats and cups."

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And in the city they call Long Beach was where they put the shit together.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

That editor 'aint no ordinary Huckleberry Hound.

5. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Ok, this is the alternative student paper and when I went there they had a great story with one of the writer's smoking pot with the actor who played Bobby Brady. The headline was "I got stoned with Bobby Brady" Priceless.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is what college newspapers are for, to get this kind of stuff out of your system.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Or at least all but microscopic particles.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That would be Mike Lookinland, if you're scoring at home Rudy.

And you're late to the party. What kept ya?

Draft saved Draft deleted