1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's the fire water and wampum?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A classic un-PC, yet why-can't-I-stop-laughing, headline, brought to you by a weekly at Cal State Long Beach.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/union-weekly-racist_n_838996.html

Those hounds and all. They need releasing.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

God, the headline had me in tears.

I've seen enough uber-shitty campus "cultural festivals" to fully appreciate what he wrote... but you're pretty much begging to be scalped when you put that in print.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how people throw the word "racist" around without actually knowing what it means.
    That headline was genius.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or, in the case of the student newspaper, circle the wagons!

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Either the dude doesn't care for a lot of Native American culture, or that was one seriously weak serving of frybread he was served. Either way, it's hard to imagine ANYTHING being a shittier version of a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that was intentional.

I laughed at the headline and see nothing wrong with the premise. With some actual reporting, and maybe an hour of research, this kid could have credibly portrayed this event as disingenuous. Instead he showed up, possibly took notes, talked to no one and jotted down some tasteless commentary and a joke about the homeless.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The headline has me cracking up.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Leaving out the distastefulness of the hed, it being the equivalent of having Stepin Fetchit dialect in a hedline about a Kwanzaa celebration...what exactly is the humor in the hed; what does it play off of?

9. PCLoadLetter

Substitute a "B" for the "P" and it's a Snoop Dogg line. (Common enough that it's virtually the only Snoop Dogg lyrical reference I would get.)

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

George Clinton weeps.

11. PCLoadLetter

Sweet Jesus. Yeah... ahem... that too.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

We have a high school team called the Indians.

Our local paper, a Freedom operation ran the following in the box above the masthead (is it skybox?)

Podunk Scalps Bumblefuck.

Seemed to me like someone should have caught it.

Draft saved Draft deleted