1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's the best place to work near Atlanta/Charlotte/Winston-Salem?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by xswriter, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Wachovia.
    No, wait. Circuit City? Damn, no to that one, too.
    CitiBank? Shit, I'll think of one soon.

2. Minneapolis Mench

Minneapolis Mench New Member

You should just work at the Atlanta Journal Constitution! I'm sure they have tons of jobs. Just call them to set up an interview -- they are starving for fresh talent.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hooters

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Go work for AIG---they're rolling in dough now.

5. xswriter

xswriter Guest

Haha wow ... definitely not the responses I hoped for.

I don't really want to work at a paper for long, just long enough to use it to break into magazines, or is that pretty much collapsing the same as newspapers? I'm getting married and have already started a modest freelance career, so I was hoping not to go to grad school right away, but am, of course open to the option.

I have a year's worth of sports editor experience already at a local weekly paper in addition to working as the editor-in-chief of my college's paper and have a relatively strong portfolio, I feel, in comparison to others at my level. Will this help my case at all?

PS - My bad on posting in the wrong forum.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Magazines are no better.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Is today "people oversharing about their supposedly awesome career exploits" day?

[/crossthreading]

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Yeah, considering heavily accomplished writers like Sports Illustrated's Jack Mccallum are accepting buyouts...

Good luck with that.

9. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

More to your point: We're not hiring in Greensboro for anything, much less Sports. Winston-Salem also has cut a bunch of staff in the last year or so. Charlotte and Raleigh have essentially combined their sports staffs. The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk just announced a bunch of layoffs. Plus they're on the block, which means more cuts could come after a sale comes through, assuming it does soon.

I can't speak about the S.C. papers or anything in Atlanta, but the job market in newspapers sucks ass these days.

A couple of suggestions if you really want to work in newspapers:

* Pick a city (maybe one where your wife has a job lined up) and string. Most papers need help with preps and smaller colleges.

* If you want a full-time gig, consider a small(er) market. Smaller papers seem more likely to replace their departing sports staffers than larger ones.

* Consider working on the desk. Those headlines don't write themselves.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm going to give you some good advice. If you want to remain broke, become a journalist. If you want to eat steak instead of ramen, don't enter into the light.
    This is not a good time, the ugliest that I ever seen. The prognosis isn't too good and that's sad because I have devoted my life to this dying industry.
    Save yourself.
    I'm not telling you not to give up on your dream. I just want you to see what the situation is with both eyes open.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Some days I look at my collection of clips and the award plaques on the wall and wonder two things:

• What the hell was I thinking?
    • What good is keeping any of this shit gonna do?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

What's sad is that there aren't many jobs who need guys who interview naked people in locker rooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted