1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's my (bleeping) sound?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Dec 2, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, computer experts, need some help. Becuase I pretty much know jack-shit about computers.

Problem: I've got no audio. System is about four years old and I've never had any problems with it. I'm running Windows XP. Got an AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor. 2.20 GHz. 1.00 GB of RAM.

I've checked my connections and they look OK. I haven't moved anything, so there'd be no reason for the connections to have come undone, anyway.

HELP!?!?!?!?!!?!

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

First, try rebooting your system.

If that doesn't work, and you checked all the connections (while the computer is off), and you double-checked to make sure the speakers didn't get turned off or the volume turned down...

Go to device manager (start, control panel, system, device manager), scroll down to sound devices, click the plus sign next to it, see if there is anything with a red circle or a yellow exclamation point. Then report back.

I'll be back in a while, I have to start shoveling snow.

LOTS of snow.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do you have a simple system with the speakers plugged directly into the back of the computer or do they have to run through a subwoofer/amp or something else before going into the computer. If they have to run through something else, make sure the power to that is on and the connections there are good.

The other thing to do is check the system settings.
    There are two ways to do this.
    First way:
    - Go to the Start Menu
    - Select Control Panel
    - Select Sounds/Sounds & Audio Devices (whichever your system says)
    - Make sure the volume bar is up and that nothing involving Mute is checked

Second way:
    - In the system try (the group of icons next to the clock in the lower right corner of the screen) find the icon that looks like a speaker
    - right click on it
    - if one of the options is diagnostics click on that and let it walk you through the diagnostic program to see what the problem is
    - if one of the options isn't diagnostics, choose properties (or something like that) and just make sure all the settings have the volume up and nothing muted

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Y'all are awesome. Doublechecked the connections to the amp and it must have been that. It's working like a champ now.

Thanks a million, Rosie and E.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You're welcome. Glad ya got your sound back.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm so weak. Took me about five minutes to get the shakes.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

mustard... glad I could help get the sound back.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, MB, you could have come help me shovel snow. That would have taken care of the shakes. ;)

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

How about I just wish a little sunshine your way?

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Better wish a lot, we got over a foot of snow at my place. :)

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A foot? That's just a dusting, up there. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted