1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's Moddy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 24, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was Tate the kid with the arm sock that kept throwing elbows when he had the ball?

He looks like a nice player, and a really nice player if he is a freshman.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We get Northeastern on Tuesday - at nine p.m.

And you are right, Devil. Rozzell hit at least one massive three. The one the Burgess kid hit late was ginormous. He's a freshman.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

9 p.m.? Damn. What's up with that?

4. 93Devil

When they are seniors, that team will look like the team from a couple years ago that had a shitpot of players who could guard and tally 15-20 on any night.

Sanders' reach is just not seen in the CAA. He will be a beast just on dunks, blocks and rebounds. Plus, it looks like he can shoot free throws.

5. Moderator1

TV says 9. We play at nine.

He's controlling himself better and staying on the floor (though he did have a spot of trouble today with fouls). His reach is mind boggling. TD did a story while I was still there on his amazing wing span. He goes up for one of his slams and I sit there thinking, "He's too damn far away." Then he reaches those long arms out and BANG.
    I know a certain someone who is going to push him HARD for defensive player of the year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. 93Devil

Hands and feet

He should catch 10,000 tennis balls in the next two years and whatever tool is needed to help his feet and balance.

He has the raw materials to be a lottery pick.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So it sounds to me like once again, almost alma mater > alma mater.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Our guy...

Wow.. that didn't take long....

9. Moderator1

A. It has been a year.
    B. They were "our" from day one, "we," too. They sign the checks.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

VCU is my adopted team in the Colonial. I want to like Mason, but Moddy is Moddy.

I can't get into it all until football season is completely over, and that will include the end of this week and the Super Bowl. Then I will start to follow more closely. I don't know much about Eric Maynor, other than the name and he is supposedly an exciting player getting NBA talk. I don't know your NBA scout, but from my days when I did a bit of that, an endorsement about being able to play in the league was good, but there are so few spots in that first round and so many foreign players that getting that guaranteed contract eludes a lot of guys with good talent, who end up going in the second round or free agency. His stock was high after post season last year, right? And apparently, without me paying attention, he has been playing with some swagger this year. He has that nice mix. Plays with a bit of swagger, but isn't a complete jackass, right? His defense is suspect at this point, right? The thing he needs to work on... and getting to the basket and drawing contact a little, too, according to my old scouts' write up I just read?

I'll keep an eye now, since he plays for my adopted team. Back in the day, this is the kind of 3,000 word story even a hack writer like me would have come across and gotten done . I worked for a basketball magazine that allowed me to do the "mid major star you may not know with NBA aspirations... what are his chances?" story once in a while. It was actually one of the genres that my lack of writing ability held up to reasonably well. But that was another life.

11. Moderator1

Two years ago, he got postseason buzz with the shot that beat Duke. Last year was not a postseason to remember. We lost in the first round of the NIT to Alabama-Birmingham.

Plays with a lot of swagger, is nowhere near a jackass. Polar opposite. Terrific kid, terrific leader.
    As for your scout's other claim, not sure I can agree. He's been to the line 134 times (shooting 80 percent). If he gets into the lane, it's over. He's either putting it in and going to the line or finding someone for one of his 587 career assists. The teams that have had success have kept him out of the lane. He's a finisher. He gets knocked around and still makes his shots.

First round? I won't ever be that bold. Could happen but who knows? I'll be shocked if he isn't drafted somewhere. If not, some team is going to get a free agent steal.

12. Moderator1

And while I'm pimping "our" guy, let me post a quote from BYH's favorite coach that appeared in my former paper:

"He has the ability to elevate his game at any moment," George Mason coach Jim Larranaga said. "We told the team at the timeout just before he hit the 3, 'This is normally when he tries to take over. We can not give him a shot.' Of course, he makes the 3, then he makes I don't know how many free throws."

Draft saved Draft deleted