1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where would you rather start...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, May 11, 2007.

1. timesup

timesup New Member

I'm taking the small paper. Sure, you're going to work ungodly hours being a one-man band. But you have all the freedom in the world to do what you want to do. I spent two years at a tiny paper just outside of Memphis, TN. The vast majority of my time was spent on the local prep beat, but it also gave me a chance to cover major D-1 sports, the NBA, professional boxing and anything else that came within a days drive. I do wish I would've had a veteran sports editor over me to show me the ropes, though. That is one down-side to starting at a small paper.

2. Started at almost the exact scenario originally mentioned, small daily (20k) an hour from 2 major cities. The rule was simple: stay on top of the local stuff (which included doing pages Sat. night) and I could do whatever pro/college stuff I wanted when I had the time. Two years in I had clips on all three major sports. Did I feel like a poser showing up once every 2/3 weeks at the NBA games, rubbing elbows (or cowering in the corner like a wuss, which is usually what I did) with the guys I saw on TV and had grown up reading? Absolutely. So what?
    When I took my second job 2 years later, I had a clip file that was a pretty good mix of preps/pros/colleges, though of course the quality left quite a bit to be desired.
    Of course it helped that I had the world's best boss. Guy is a saint. Sure I was broke as hell squeaking by on 17k a year, but I can tell you that I never had more fun working. Ever.

3. timesup

timesup New Member

I agree. Pay sucked. Had no social life. But I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I have since moved on to a PR job, but I sometimes wish I could go back (then payday come).

4. I know nothing about the Marietta paper but could someone clue me in as to why it has such a horrible reputation? How can it be THAT bad??

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

How important is it to land a quality first gig?
    Can you get a good second job if your first place isn't on the Detroit Free Press' list of good papers to work for?
    I know where I'm at isn't on that list or any list, but I know my work is solid compared to a lot of shit I've seen from other small-town shops.
    Another problem, it seems, is that I'm here in the west and a lot of the openings that I have a chance at landing are on the east coast. Then it seems that a lot of places won't pay for travel expenses. How many places actually help with your travel costs if you have to travel across the country?

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Anywhere that hasn't had layoffs or buyouts lately. Also, not at a Boone or CNHI paper under any circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted