1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where would you rather start...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, May 11, 2007.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

If one of your choices truly was Marietta, you'd be better off working for someone's family newsletter.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've seen many paths.
    But, look a little beyond the job.
    How is the Sports Editor?
    Has he been there for a while?
    Do writers have a history of improving at the paper?
    Secondly, if you're a writer, you want a little turnover. That means one of two things. Either the place sucks. Or, the paper has a reputation for turning young writers into good young writers. Obviously you want the latter. Why Writers are getting noticed outside the paper. And, it's good for changing and advancing in beats within the paper.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

C+ -- Ace you give me way too much credit... ;D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't want to undersell you, zags.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Started out by moving cross-country to Abilene, before it became the festering shithole it is today (or at least, was last year). Got a chance to work with great people and do a little bit of everything. Learned a lot and left with great experience. Didn't mind the drive to DFW.

Find a place like that and you'll be in pretty good shape.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. I was going to say Marietta is a bad example. It can be a career-killer.

7. floridasun

floridasun Member

You'll know when you meet with the people at the different papers. My first job was at a smaller-type (30-35k circ) and about half an hour from a major city with a couple of pro teams. I learned more from that job than any since. Write, edit, paginate, write on deadline, agate, features, breaking news, sports, occasional news, write headlines, take call-ins (ugh). Never took a photo, though. Still, experience was second to none.

That being said, times have changed. You have to decide what's right for your skill set now. If you're on the desk, you could probably aim a little higher. Writers can't be too choosey.

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Ill take any paper that gives me an opportunity...

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I interviewed at the MDJ out of college. I chose a small community weekly with a 4K (thats right, 4,000) circulation.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

[​IMG]

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd go back to school, get a finance degree and a job that paid better.

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

this is an interesting topic for me, since I'll be graduating soon. I'll echo Skinsnoles21 in saying that I'll go wherever I'm offered the opportunity to start my career.

That being said, if I did have the good fortune to have multiple offers on the table at the same time, I think I'd be less concerned with circ. size and location relative to major markets than I would be with the quality of the paper. In a perfect world, I want to start at a paper that will make me better. I want a sports editor who isn't afraid to tell me my stuff was horseshit, but at the same time will tell me why it was horseshit and how I can stop my next story from being horseshit.
    How's the town? how's the staff? How's the cost of living?

I think there is a lot to consider - but here's hoping we're all lucky enough to have several offers to choose from when it comes time to choose a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted