1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where would you go if you had $3,000 in your pocket?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With having to return to a job? Backpacking through Europe for two weeks.

No time limit? Sleeping in a tent next to my Jeep as I hit some primo trout streams in the Rockies. I could probably make that $3,000 last four or five months.

Where I am right now in life? I'd build a workshop/storage room in my backyard.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The Bear has four days, dude. That's the sticking point here. Give him/her a week, and the possibilities are endless.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

New Jersey. I hear it's real nice this time of year. It only smells like one dead, rotten farm.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Plus, if you are there Oct. 3 we can hang out.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Savannah. Who knows, you could wind up covering a murder trial or meet a drag queen.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'd have to agree with Vegasm it has all you want. Food (from the best chefs in the rold to the corner 3.99 prime rib plate), random wandering (plenty of places to wander here, even more when you realize there's more to Vegas than the Strip), people-watching (some of the best), and great stories to send home (who the hell hasn't heard a great or bad Vegas story).

And yes it's a very cliche and obvious pick, but Vegas is an awesome place wih plenty more to do than people think.

Otherwise, I could also suggest Martha's Vineyard or some place in Alaska.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Look no further than New Orleans, Louisiana.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Four days?

With somebody - Vegas. I've been there with a group of 12 and solo, it's more fun with friends.

Solo - NYC. Roaming and walking until I couldn't, then taking a cab back to the hotel and doing it again the next day.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're going by yourself? I'd do one of the great places you haven't been to: San Francisco and Alaska would be my first two choices and you could do them on the same trip, but probably not very well in just four days.

Otherwise, for four days, I'd probably do Mexico, Costa Rica or Aruba.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is there an airport nearby that has direct flights to Europe?

If so, I'd do that. With the time change, you'd essentially have three days in a city, and fall tends to have lower airfares than summer.

Edinburgh, Amsterdam, London, Brussels - pick a city.

Or just blindly stick a tack into a U.S. map and go wherever. It's only four days.

11. KG

KG Active Member

There's this "riverboat cruise" there I want to do called, Murder Afloat. It's one of those murder mystery cruises. Sounds fun.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm going with my 23 year old sister. When I brought up the Vegas idea, her exact words were "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You know I have no self control." She's not only self-aware, she's also correct. When I asked about her passport, she informed me that she threw up on it at a bar one night and tossed it. So this should be fun. I think we've narrowed it down to San Francisco, Savannah, St. Augustine (random) and New Orleans. All places we have never been. A little concerned about New Orleans with my previous two vacations already being canceled due to weather. We will still be traveling during hurricane season.

Draft saved Draft deleted