1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where we're headed ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, May 2, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I used to make sure I clicked on ads on sites I read often since I know that's how they make money. But in the last couple of years since video ads have become more and more prevalent, I've starting using AdBlock plus on FireFox. Besides it being extremely annoying to hear audio starting playing when you're not expecting it, sometimes a few seconds after a video ad starts I get the "script error" message. Nothing is worth waiting 30 seconds and looking at a frozen screen. (Don't worry Jeff, I have ABP disabled for SJ.com ;))

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Blocking ads makes you feel smart; looking at ads makes you feel fulfilled." - Mahatma Gandhi
    CONTINUE TO SITE >>

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Had never heard of AdBlocker until this thread. I feel smarter now that I'm using it. Too bad there isn't a "Bad Journalism Blocker" that I could use on these moronic websites that hire high school kids that spell like ... high school kids.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

IShouldCoco-
    The autoplay Flash ads are the most annoying of all. ESPN has been particularly bad with this.

JR119 likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes. They're also prevalent on the Sporcle trivia website. The whole thing grinds to a halt when those Flash ads pop up.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I started using AdBlocker for a reason.

The place I spend the most time online (sorry, not charliedaniels.com) has an insane amount of ads, and I couldn't get it to load most of the time.

Unlike here, I'm an active member there, and for reasons I won't go into I need to be on that site.

I've donated money to the site, so I support it with cash out of my pocket.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What good is "clicks" if the idiots who run newspapers still haven't figured out how to make money off their websites?

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I got a revelation today. We are going to do some landscaping at our house. The guy came over, looked around and during the chit-chat afterward, he asked how we found his company. I said through Google. He smiled and said, "Well, that is good to hear, that I'm getting something for what I am paying them. I gave them $10,000 last month. Oh, and that money in the past would have gone to the newspaper or the home improvement magazines or the Yellow Pages."
    Ten thousand bucks. Wow.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

ChrisLong, that's funny because I almost never click on the google ads. Or did he mean he paid to keep his website near the top?

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's what it is, prominent placing. I didn't click on an ad. I brought up Google and typed in: "(my city) landscaping" and his website was the first listed. Took a look at it and decided it was worth checking out. And on their website they had this brief questionnaire about what you are looking to do. Submitted that and the next day I got an email with available days/times for a free consultation. It worked out pretty well. This is our second attempt and much better than the first, in which the price more than doubled from the "ballpark estimate" to actual numbers.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just yesterday I spent $100 on two cherry trees and a few other plants at a nursery that I never knew existed --- until I saw a full-page ad in last Sunday's print edition of our local newspaper.

I made sure to tell the guy that we came (and would be coming back) because of that ad.

Draft saved Draft deleted