1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to stay?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 3, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Okay, for about four days in each of the following cities, where or what area should we stay in when we visit?

San Francisco (doing Alcatraz, the Wharf, going to walk around, find a street car to ride, heading to the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe a ball game if I can convince the better half)

Los Angeles (Walk of Fame, Dodgers game, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive - can anyone think of anything else to do, by the way?)

San Diego (we're doing the zoo for sure, not sure what else, haven't asked much about SD yet)

And may I say, I appreciate everything everyone's ever posted regarding this massive trip we're planning. If and when we ever meet, I owe you all a beer.

In the meantime, if you're ever visiting north of the border, I've lived in three provinces, driven from coast to coast so I can return the favour of suggesting where to go.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Is there a reason why there isn't a running SoSueMe traveling thread?

Anyways, I would suggest staying just outside the city limits for cheaper rates.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Because, after this trip I won't be able to afford a vacation until I retire! So if we can all survive through the next couple weeks, it'll be over.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I spent three nights in SF a couple of summers ago. Stayed at the Hyatt downtown. I used my Visa points to pay for it, so I don't recall the rates, but it was in a great location for food, walking around and it's only a short stroll to the bay.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

For LA, I suggest staying in Burbank. The rates are cheaper and you're within shouting distance of Dodger Stadium, downtown, Hollywood and a longer shout to the Westside and Santa Monica. The rates should be cheaper there than anything along the 405 corridor or downtown.

You could also stay in Santa Clarita, which is in the northern LA County suburbs, along I-5. That would put you 25-30 minutes as the crow flies or 45 minutes (depending on time of day) from downtown LA and a half hour-45 or so from Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

PM me when you're around...

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. This is an awesome road trip. I wish I could help you, but I'm not very familiar with the West Coast.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In San Diego, we've stayed:

http://www.bayclubhotel.com/

http://www.innatsunsetcliffs.com/

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you do stay in Burbank (and if Dodger Stadium is part of the deal, then it's a perfect location) ... you must eat lunch at Tony's Deli on Magnolia Ave. Runner-up: Santoro's on Burbank Blvd. Absolutely fantastic sandwiches.

Draft saved Draft deleted