1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where To Stay Near Shea, err, Citi Field?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I and two friends will briefy be in NYC in August. Just a weekend stay. We're all driving (one coming from the east in one car, two coming from the west in one car).

We're hitting a Mets game on a Friday night. Spending Saturday in the city doing whatever and getting downright drunk Saturday night.

A couple questions I hope the good folks of SportsJournalists.com can answer:

1) Where should we stay? Near Citi Field, or elsewhere? Somewhere reasonably priced, by NYC standards, would be nice.

2) Where should we go before and after the Mets game? We'll be in NYC very early Friday.

3) Where should we drink/party Saturday night. Again, somewhere reasonable by NYC standards — unless there is a "must-see" pub or bar we should hit.

Thanks all. I eagerly await your responses because I'm sure someone out there has a pub or bar that's relatively unknown and yet cool.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't go to Citi. (sorry had to be said)

There's a Ramada, I think, by the parking lot formerly known as Shea. Decent rates, last I remembered, and if you don't mind hoofing it, you can keep your car there and fuck the Wilpons out of whatever the hell they're charging for parking these days.

3. Pete Incaviglia

We've all been to (old) Yankee Stadium. We'll do (new) Yankee Stadium when the novelty wears off.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Do you want to get shitty in Queens or in NYC?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Unless you need a new radiator on your car or want to join the nation of islam there is not a lot going on around citi field.

If I were you I would stay in Mahattan at a hotel that offers reasonable car parking. Then take the # 7 train to Citi. It's not as bad as John Rocker says. This will allow you to drink as much as you want and not worry about driving

6. Pete Incaviglia

Thanks Boom. I stayed in Manhattan and trained it everywhere two summers ago. Seemed convenient enough.

But now, I need to know where to get shitty. And LBJ, yeah, I would prefer to get shitty in NYC — but I'm not against doing it in Queens if there's a decent place.

7. Flushing isn't the greatest place in the world to hang.

Priceline some rooms in Manhattan before you leave. I've been way more successful than not doing it that way.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Stay in Manhattan. Drink in Manhattan.

The biggest issue will be finding an affordable place to stash the car.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Covered the Tour du Pont in NYC once. Cost me more to park my car in NYC for a day than it did to stay overnight in New Paultz the previous night.

NYC hotel rates are pretty good right now. I'm down with those who suggest staying in Manhattan and doing the 7 train. Maybe find a car lot in Jersey, bus to the Port Authority and go from there?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Where are you driving from? Parking at a commuter rail lot outside of town then taking train into Manhattan is how I usually do this. Since I'm coming from Boston, I park in Stamford, Conn.

Draft saved Draft deleted