1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to Eat and Listen to music in New Orleans during the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by adelosr1, Jan 17, 2013.

1. I will agree adelosr1: There is no reason to stumble down Bourbon Street UNLESS you're in the mood for a Hurricane, AND NOT PAT O'BRIENS. I cannot stress this enough. Keep walking down Bourbon past the gay bars to the residential area and get yourself a hurricane at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shoppe on the corner of Bourbon and St. Phillip. Best Hurricanes in the city. Two kinds of rum, real fruit juice, not powder mix like Pat O's and then they top it with about two ounces of 151 rum. $8 in a 32 oz cup.

Also, I agree with watching Rebirth or Kermit. If you go to Rebirth go next door for dinner at Jacque-imos. Real good food and if you have to wait, put your name in and go to the Maple Leaf next door, they'll call you when your table is ready. Take the St. Charles Streetcar into Uptown past Tulane and Loyola and make the turn on Carrollton. Get off at Oak Street. GREAT little area.

And speaking of the streetcar, if you take the Canal Streetcar away from the quarter and into Mid-City, there are some really great places to dine. Mandina's is on Canal, just past Jeff Davis. Katies is a block off Canal on Iberville at Telemauchas. Venezia at Canal and Carrollton is pretty good Italian and just about two doors down is a ice cream/bakey named Angelo Brocato's AWESOME stuff. For a Po-Boy, I prefer the Parkway Bakery and Tavern. That's a bit off the beaten path, but is in the Bayou St. John area. You can get off the Canal Streetcar that says City Park on it (It turns at Carrollton) and get off Orleans. Walk about five blocks past the American Can Company Loft Apartments and its just across the Bayou. Also, the Bulldog at the end of the Canal Street car line (one that says cemetaries on it) has 50 beers on tap.

Adelosr1, I lived there from Feb. 2011 to last August and loved it. I lived on Carrollton between Orleans and Toulouse. Yes, I was on the Endymion parade route.

Dixie Hack: There changing the schedule for the parades in Orleans Parish, they'll be running this week, taking a break during Super Bowl week and then resuming after the game.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Pascal's Manale (uptown) has THE best BBQ shrimp.

3. tharmonson

tharmonson New Member

I'd love to be there for this game because it's in one of my favorite cities. For food, it's hard to go wrong. But for something that's incredibly right, splurge one night and go to Commander's Palace. I've been there on at least five trips, and it never has disappointed. Every main dish we've tried has been fantastic, the gumbos and turtle soup are full of flavor and the bread pudding, with whiskey cream, is worth the wait for the souffle.

For music, again the choices are seemingly endless. But consider heading out to Metairie (around 15 minutes from downtown) the day before the game for Family Gras, where there will be a variety of acts including one of my favorites. I first saw New Orleans rock band Cowboy Mouth the night before the 2000 Super Bowl (Rams-Titans) in Atlanta and was blown away. The drummer/lead singer, Fred LeBlanc, is a crazy, sweaty mess ... and maybe the best front man you've never seen.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Well, I can report that Brennan's was well worth the trip, and, to be honest, it wasn't outrageously priced. For brunch, you can order off the Prix-Fixe menu, which is $35 for three courses: An appetizer (I had the turtle soup), an entree and a dessert (most people get the Bananas Foster, but I had the Strawberry Crepes). Frankly, the service was the best part of the experience. Our waiter was a very cordial and knowledgeable guy in his mid-30s. Made us feel very welcome.

And the wedding was a hoot. After the service, everyone second-lined from the church to the reception, which was about 6 blocks away. Very good time was had by all.

I will also second the recommendation for Cowboy Mouth. As high-energy a show as you'll ever see, and Fred is about as manic a front man as there is in rock.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thirded. Seen 'em twice and loved the shows.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How can anyone disagree with Alton?

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Mother's is overrated. Drago's is overrated, too, but it's a helluva lot better than Mother's. Jacques Imo's is a fun place, but it's packed. We went through the routine Mike Harris described - put your name in and go start drinking at the Maple Leaf.

I like going to Crazy Johnnie's in Metarie for the Prime Rib. Looks like a biker bar from out front, but they have some delicious Prime Rib and spicy mashed potatoes (called Crazy Potatoes, maybe?).

Other restaurants that I've enjoyed over the years:

La Boca - Argentine steakhouse. Pop in for apps and get the chorizo and the fried provolone.
    Irene's
    Pelican Club
    Dick & Jenny's

Here's a good source for New Orleans food:

www.nomenu.com

As for drinks, I'm not a big fan of Bourbon, but I do like grabbing a Huge Ass Beer To Go near Canal and then meandering down Bourbon while people watching.

The Carousel Bar on Royal is a fun place, too. Frenchman St. is a good spot, as noted above.

Also, if you get the chance, take some time to wait in line for a show at Preservation Hall.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Oh, by the way, I should mention that they are doing major repairs to the streetcar rails from Canal Street to Uptown. To get on the St. Charles streetcar, you have to take the bus past the construction all the way past Lee Circle and beyond. My brother said it was a pain in the ass. You'll definitely want to factor that into any decision you make to venture Uptown.

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Whatever you do, don't go to the West Bank.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A quick search reveals Brightsen's is still open. I know a decade is an eon in restaurant years, but in 2002 it was still damn good.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I also need to give a mention to Mr. B's Bistro. Try the rabbit.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Went to see 'em last night in NYC. Fourthed.

They may not be playing NOLA this week though.

Draft saved Draft deleted