1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the diversity among sports editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 30, 2010.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

WT, I was being completely facetious in the second graph. Sorry if that didn't translate. It's a sentiment I've seen among some of my peers who are confident that they will get better quotes from athletes because, "Hey, he's black and I am, too. That brother will feel more comfortable speaking with me." It's not true.

As for the topic remark, I didn't mean to speak ill of this discussion on this message board. My intent was to express my shock that there is a conscious realization of diversity -- the need for it and lack thereof -- in the journalism field.

My working days haven't been spent entirely in newsrooms, but I come from industries where, when minorities are hired, we're relegated to office-support roles rather than being trusted with any kind of decision making. The easy argument is to cite one's qualifications and use that as the explanation for the menial tasks assigned. Unfortunately, it's not always that cut and dry.

2. dcdream

dcdream Member

And then there was one

http://mije.org/richardprince/own-debuts-robust-ratings#Graham

Draft saved Draft deleted