1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is my Signing Day news conference?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, May 20, 2016.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I agree with Batman that it really depends on the size of your shop and the quality of talent in your area. I might cover less than 10 signings per year so theres a little novelty to it in my area. I enjoy these stories just because the kids usually have had an interesting journey. Plus it got their foot in the door to go to a good scool and play their sport a little while longer.

But what I do works for my market. I don't think the near-by metro should cover the things I cover because they'd be running nothing but kids going to Podunk U stories.

Batman likes this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the "Getting Out of the Buskness" thread?

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

When I was at the paper, we used to blow out Signing Day, because the area turned out a lot of D-1 talent and there's a D-1 school in town. We would generally go get signing shots from the three biggest high schools in the area, which was usually a mixed bag of D-1 and junior college, plus any other schools that that D-1 signees. That was especially true of the little 2A powerhouse in our area that has been sending kids to D-1 programs for years, several of whom made it to the NFL.

And as Batman said, the jucos are a very big deal here. They do give athletic scholarships and the level of play is somewhere between D-2 and FCS. All of the schools in our league have kids who transferred from places like LSU, Alabama, South Carolina and Florida State.

Batman likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I accepted the idea a long time ago that I'll spend my career covering sports in Podunk.
    This is the job. This is what I do. Sometimes I actually enjoy it.

Liut likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There is covering prep sports, and there is covering JUCO signing events. You're serving as a personal scrapbooker for that type of event.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Depends on what part of the country you are in, man. JUCO sports in Mississippi, Kansas, parts of Texas and Florida are super competitive, loaded with future Power 5 conference athletes and of high local interest.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right, Jake. The reason Boston papers can treat Signing Day realistically is that nobody here gives a shit about college sports. One reason I like living here.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Hockey at Union college

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If you're at a paper in Wisconsin that is not Madison or Milwaukee, you better make note of D3 stuff.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Hockey at Union is Division I. And a very good D-I program at that.

11. Earthman

NESCAC FOOTBALL programs Are D3 lite.Don't even start practicing till September,8 game schedule, no playoffs. Why bother

12. Earthman

Wesleyan known for turning boys into man geniuses.

Draft saved Draft deleted