1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is Justin Bieber's publicist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sea Bass, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought he did fine. He certainly doesn't try to pretend to be an expert on the subject.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's a tremendous reporter and writer. She is attempting to capture who he is, what he thinks, how he thinks, what makes him unique. I don't think she was on any sort of nefarious fishing expedition or anticipating a policy dissertation.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Why is it so unfair, mizzou? Sports doesn't exist in a vacuum. Athletes are citizens of the world around them. As reporters, we're free to ask them questions. And they are free to not answer. No harm, no foul.

Same with Bieber.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is this blasphemous?
    Is it?
    And what would be the blasphemy?
    And what would it be?

('Hey Darla, how's my dictate?')

5. Mizzougrad96

Your point is valid, but to me in both cases it seems like reporters fishing for a controversial response from someone who doesn't know any better.

I remember a player being ripped for saying, "We've got a war of our own on Thursday." and while it's a stupid thing to say, he doesn't know any better. I remember one guy saying, "Hey, I just want to play basketball." and he was ripped for it.

I just remember that bothering me.

6. Dick Whitman

I have always had this gripe.

A lot of times, it is the columnists pouncing on a quote given to the beat writer.

For the most part, however, it seems like reporters give athletes some breathing room to say stupid things, particularly amateurs. Pros? Not so much, but it has to be really out-there to stir much up, like Luke Scott- or Tim Hardaway-level

7. Mizzougrad96

Reporter: Was today's game a microcosm of what you've dealt with all season?

(Stunned silence from player. Coach leans over and tries to whisper, but can be heard "It means a small representation of something."

Player: Yes.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If a similarly aged female pop star had come out in favor of abortion rights, no one would blink. In fact, she'd probably be hailed as a role model.

People here are really out of touch. There is nothing wrong with what he said.

He expressed one of the two prevailing opinions on the matter.

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, nobody can blame what Hardaway said on anybody other than him. DLB gave him about four chances to take back what he said and Hardaway just kept making it worse.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You want a slow pitch interview with Bieber, there was Conan on Monday night. Don't think he asked about the Grammys at all.

11. Mizzougrad96

Right. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with what Bieber said. I think the RS reporter was fishing for something controversial from a singer who has done a pretty good job of avoiding controversy so far.

12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

If anything, it makes him very attractive to conservative politicians who for years have been trying to find pop culture figures they can co-opt.

Draft saved Draft deleted