1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is Justin Bieber's publicist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sea Bass, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/939801--i-really-don-t-believe-in-abortion-justin-bieber?bn=1

Rolling Stone leaks a few tidbits of an upcoming feature on him. In it, Bieber says he's against abortion, because "it's like killing a baby?" He also doesn't know if abortion should be acceptable in cases of rape, because "everything happens for a reason" and he "has never been in that situation" so he "wouldn't be able to judge that".

I don't quite get why Rolling Stone is asking a 16-year-old kid these questions, and get even less why his handlers would let this happen.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Kid was out late all weekend, getting some serious tail for all we know. He's beyond bedtime enforcement.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, Rolling Stone used to bring some intelligence when it arrived on the newsstand. Here's hoping it was just the interviewer that is a fucking idiot and not the whole editorial staff.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Wonder if it's the same guy (Erik Hedegaard) who did the Glee story. Perfect example of a reporter making it all about him and not having the chops to pull it off.
    Nonetheless, I'll put the house on Bieber doing a rehab stint by 19.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's not cool asking a 16-year-old that kind of stuff.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Grigoriadis is a stud celebrity feature writer. An absolute ace.

I don't understand what is shocking or even slightly flummoxing about anything Bieber said. Is "everything happens for a reason," applied to rape, an inartful way of expressing it? Sure. But I've personally always thought the rape exception is difficult to defend on principle.

7. Sea Bass

Shocking/flummoxing or not, don't you think his answers make him look stupid?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They make him look 16, completely sheltered and unaware of the world around him. How would you have answered at that age?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember covering the 2003 NCAA Tournament as we were just going to war and reporters were asking the players if they believed in the war or if they felt right playing basketball as the country was going to war.

I thought those questions were insanely unfair and I feel the same way about asking Bieber how he feels about abortion. I think the sex questions are fair since he has taken a stance on the topic.

10. Dick Whitman

One caveat: We don't know how it came up. Conversations flow.

11. Dick Whitman

I don't think that 95 percent of adults - on either side - would come off any more articulate than he did. On any issue.

12. Sea Bass

Sorry - that's more what I meant. At 16, I probably would have answered those questions very similarly, which is my point. What kind of answers was the reporter expecting?

Draft saved Draft deleted