1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where have all the Bob Seger albums gone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Excellent article on Seger, his career arc, and the choices he has made regarding his catalog and the various online services. Interesting article. I got on that bus pretty early and know how good this guy was back in the day. All you ever hear anymore is "Turn the Page" on Classic Rock radio, and the odd "Old Time Rock and Roll" and "Like a Rock", mostly on commercials. I had not really thought about it till I saw the headline.

Where Have All The Bob Seger Albums Gone?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A coworker absolutely hates Bob Seger, for whatever reason. It has become a running joke between us. I put Bob Seger albums on hold for her so they show up without her knowing. Was at some sports bar before a Tigers game once that featured a Bob Seger burger. I had to order it in her honor. I will definitely send her this article.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

I don't think the manager is taking the best course, but I also don't know the exact numbers involved.

Years ago there was a Seger v Springsteen thread. I'm going to see if I can find it. I remember it as being worth a read, but who knows.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

"Traveling Man" is his best song. End of thread.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

My Seger consumption is up about 60 percent in 2017. His greatest hits just never get old, even if every song is pretty much about getting laid in high school.

6. Machine Head

I've spent time in Ann Arbor and one time tried to figure out where the bar off Main and Ann was.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Summer 1967, bitches. Even when I was 8-9 years old I could stomp my feet. While the whole rest of the world was foofing along to Sgt Pepper, it was still fun to romp and stomp to some real rock and roll.

The version from "Live Bullet" that finally hit in 1976 was thin and tinny. This is the real shiznit.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    cranberry, Machine Head and Riptide like this.
  8. Machine Head

I like that, thanks for posting it.

After reading the article and hearing this I'm going to start scouring my sources for some early Seger.

9. Machine Head

10. Starman

The one-two punch of "Heavy Music" and "Sock It To Me Baby" by Mitch Ryder, which hit just about the same time within a couple of weeks in summer 1967, pretty much pointed the way for the back-to-basics move a year later the Beatles pulled on the White Album and the Stones with "Jumping Jack Flash" and Beggar's Banquet.

The ethereal Sgt Pepper-psychedelia orchestral art-rock stuff seemed to run its course and people were ready to get back to some boot-stomping rock and roll.

I rather doubt Lennon-McCartney and Mick-Keith were slumming around in southeast Michigan listening to CKLW, but there was a movement back to bar-band rock after about a year or so in the planetary spaces.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've long held that the first side of "Stranger In Town" is among the best album sides in rock history.

Joe Williams likes this.
  12. Starman

Yeah, in its way it's really one of the prototypical late 70s rock albums.

Side two tapered off, but that was by design for a lot of albums in those days: a kick-ass side one, then flip the album and mellow out.

This is bringing back memories of those years, referenced in the original article, when you'd sit around for hours and play albums.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted