1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Polamalu rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by X-Hack, Apr 10, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Really?! I wouldn't bet on that

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That wasn't me, Michael. It was 93Devil. In fact, I said that I would rank both Blount and Rod Woodson ahead of Polamalu.

I think I agree with you regarding Jack Ham, as well, but that is a tough comparison. Their jobs were so different. Ham was the guy who you knew was going to do his job right just about every play. For all the talk about Polamalu's intelligence, Ham played every bit as smart, but he did it within the confines of the defense. He didn't get to freelance the way Polamalu did. Polamalu made more spectacular plays, but he also ended up out of position a lot, something you almost never saw with Ham.

I'm not so sure about Lambert. Again, very tough to compare a middle linebacker in the '70 to a safety who just retired, but that may be one of the cases where I give Polamalu an edge simply because he didn't have the same level of talent around him.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

A great safety that does not get the love he deserves was Leroy Butler. He was the first of the newer breed. He was first to ever have 20 ints(38) and 20 sacks(20.5). 5 time All Pro, all decade team for 90's and his career ended early from injury. In his day he was a special player. If GB had more than one SB win he would be HoF.

Gutter likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My apologies, OOP. Didn't read well.

5. outofplace

No worries. Your point was a good one.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The entire Pittsburgh defense was centered around Polmalu, and that defense won two and went to three.

Without him they are the Chargers.

7. outofplace

More accurately, the rest of the defense was good enough to allow him room to freelance so much, which allowed Polamalu to make those spectacular plays. Blount and Woodson were dominant within the scheme. So was Ham. But hey, at least you relented and got into a discussion of comparisons to Pittsburgh defenders other than Greene.

8. Uh, Casey Hampton?

Polomalu is a lock for the HOF. First ballot? I'd be surprised.
    Better than Reed? I don't think so.
    Reed, IMO, was a more consistent player. Troy took a lot of chances, some of which paid off. Other times he got flat out burned (including - if memory serves - giving up a HUGE TD the Cardinals in the second half of the Super Bowl). Because Troy was hit and miss I'd go with Reed.
    I don't think you can compare Shell to Troy. Two completely different eras. That said, I think Troy's better.
    Better than Woodson? No. Hell. No.
    Dawkins? That comparison is a joke.

9. outofplace

What about Casey Hampton? Polamalu had some outstanding teammates and Hampton was one of them, but he certainly wouldn't be in a Hall of Fame discussion. I don't think he was even the best defensive lineman Polamalu played with. That would be Aaron Smith.

I think Polamalu and Reed were asked to do very different things. Polamalu's role lent itself to making more big plays, especially against the run and while rushing the passer. Reed's lent itself to more consistent play. I still think Polamalu was better, but I can see the argument either way.

10. You don't Hampton makes the HOF?
    Um ... Ok. ...

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FWIW, the two opposing defensive player who were given the most effusive praise from Belichick when I covered the Pats were Reed and Michael Strahan. It wasn't his usual boilerplate praise, wholly different.

12. outofplace

No. I don't. He was a two-down player. To compare to contemporaries, I think Vince Wolfork did the same things, but better. Big Snack was a hell of a player and the failure to properly replace him is a big reason that defense has regressed the last couple of seasons, but Hall of Famer? I don't see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted