1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Peyton rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

50 years ago playing in the post season was limited and unique. Unitas played in 9 playoff games, total. His teams made the playoffs only 6 times over 18 career years. Montana played in 23 playoff games. His teams made the playoffs 11 seasons in his 15 career season. (And that includes 1992 where he appeared in only 1 game and his first season where he only made 1 start.) Starr played in 10 playoff games 9-1 record, the 9 wins were consecutive. Bradshaw was 14-5 in playoff games. He and Starr were asked to do much less than Montana and Manning.
    Brady 22-9 in playoff games and 7 years he played in 3 postseason games. Starr never played more than 2 and often played in just 1, a championship game.

That's why what Brady and Montana are 1&2, I don't know what order. Their post season records completely overshadow everyone else's and played in many more winner take all games.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kind of a dirty little secret that Manning went 3-1 in his last 4 playoff meetings with Brady.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was a huge fan of Marino when I was younger, but for the last six years of his career (after he popped his Achilles against the Browns in 1993), he was basically the equivalent of Drew Bledsoe or Vinny Testaverde.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All of those players are 0-0 in playoff games, because players do not enter or win NFL playoff games individually. Teams do.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Right, because if you put Greg Landry or Eric Hipple on any of those teams, the results would be the same

service_gamer likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I dunno. I do know they would have been different if the quarterback was the only player on the roster or to take the field.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Will be a hell of a hall of fame class. Love that Woodson and Manning are linked yet again. Your move Megatron

Batman likes this.
  9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I probably don't believe this, but it seems like fun:

The Pats start and end with Belichick. They won 11 games with freaking Matt Cassel at QB. They've spent the last decade rotating no-name clowns in at skill positions and they've done nothing but win, season after season after season. They could do the same at QB. Brady clearly isn't a no-name clown, but without Belichick he may have been a heck of a lot closer. Until he was so beat up he could barely walk, Peyton never played on a team that would have been remotely as competitive with another quarterback.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

People who make the "he couldn't have played in the 70s!" argument are also assuming Manning wouldn't have adapted his game to the rules.
    Manning might be the smartest,most football-savvy QB to ever play the game. It's the prime reason why his career thrived after his neck surgery and why he's in the GOAT discussion. There were quarterbacks in the 60s and 70s who could throw for a ton of yards, it was more that offensive philosophies of the time dictated a heavy dose of the run. Unitas, Starr, Staubach, etc., all could have been stars in this era just like they were in their day, and Manning would've been excellent in earlier days.
    I remember growing up, old-timers defended Unitas as the greatest by noting that he called all his own plays and that modern quarterbacks didn't. Well, Manning called his own plays too. There were years where the position of offensive coordinator for the Colts and Broncos was a figurehead job. As his physical ability declined, Manning figured out how to adapt his own game to his new skillset (and most impressively, recognized the need to do so).
    Manning would have been great in any era.

As for where he ranks? It's hard to say, and it's not because Manning was better or worse than any other quarterback. It's just that, in this discussion, there's probably as many as 10 guys you can make a legitimate case for. Arguing for one over the other comes down to personal preferences, intangibles and splitting statistical hairs. It's a fun debate, but it's ultimately one where there's no right or wrong answer.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For the past 18 years I've heard how Woodson didn't deserve the Heisman in 1997. I wonder if it's taken having a first-ballot HOF NFL career to finally shake that stigma?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not if you have in-laws from Chattanooga, as some of us do.

TigerVols and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted