1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Krzyzewski rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If you adjust the color settings, you might see him in a different light.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The facial expressions and bad body language alone...Totally agree - Hurley was massively disliked. I like Duke and I wasn't a big Hurley fan.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He may be a prick (no way of knowing, he may be a prince, too), but Allen saved their asses last night. Without him, that nine point Wisconsin lead gets bigger, not smaller.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Great thread.

I had someone on Facebook question me last night, in a good way, how I could look at Duke with disgust. I said I had no beef with coach K and how he runs the program, but it's the arrogance and cocky attitude of the players that turns people off.

That and some of the national media. When you have to hear Dukie V go on and on about Duke when the game he's covering is Kansas-West Virginia, you tend to wonder what's up. Ten teams could be better than Duke, but which team would get all the press? Duke.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

His parents didn't do him any favors with the name Grayson either.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, they're just southern preppies. There will probably be about 500 Graysons around the 16th green at Augusta this week.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. And I hate 'em all already.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#500terriblehonkies

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Way the hell back when I was still a journalist at a modest-sized daily, one Friday late in the regular season, I'd been assigned slot duty for some such reason. My boss wasn't in yet so I had to sit in for him in the Friday/weekend budget meeting (do they still call it that?). The ACC team we covered was scheduled to play Duke that Sunday, so our guy on that beat was already up there. Being there had inspired him to do this 60-inch feature on those zany Cameron Crazies/Dookies/Whatever. Now this was in the late 1980s (right after Dawkins graduated), when Duke was re-emerging as a top-flight national power, so a lot of the stuff we find tired/cliched about Duke now wasn't so back then. Honestly, though, the piece read like Dukie V. had written it and then had a competent ghost-writer give it a one-over.

Reading it before the budget meeting, I couldn't help thinking back to my trips to Cameron (back when I'd covered our ACC team) and how those little shits spit on and threw coins at me and others among the visiting writers. So when I went to the budget meeting, I guess my disgust at the piece came through. The paper's ME asked me what my beef with the piece was, and I said something to the effect of "If students at one of the schools we actually cover acted like this, we wouldn't be writing about how cute they are, we'd be writing about how obnoxious they are and how something ought to be done. But, hey, it's Duke, so I guess it's OK."

I don't recall whether they pulled the piece entirely, or simply made him dial it way the hell back, but that piece (as it was) didn't come close to that week's Sunday section.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Hated Hurley in college, but immediately was excited as soon as the Kings drafted him. The spot where his car accident took place was a spot people had driven by thousands of times and said, "They need a stop sign here, someone is going to get killed."

He wasn't a bad pro either. Without looking, he probably averaged eight points and eight assists for most of his career. I remember being surprised when he retired. I don't remember if he got injured again or what the deal was.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

As for a black Duke player people disliked...there was plenty of hate for Battier among non-Duke folks. And I don't think anyone liked Dahntay Jones.

If nothing else, Winslow is about to take a spot atop that list, at least for UVA and UNC fans.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Battier is black?

Mr. Sunshine and Big Circus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted