1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Krzyzewski rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 7, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I can't think of any black Dukies that people didn't like, except Jalen Rose hated Grant Hill.

But imagine these two coming to Indianapolis in 1991 under the state's current climate!

[​IMG]

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They might not be able to buy a celebratory slice of pizza.

3. RecoveringJournalist

If anyone here hasn't seen the "I hate Christian Laettner" 30 for 30, it is tremendous.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

When it comes to recruiting, they get whoever they want, which flies in the face of the notion that Duke is a prestigious academic school.
    Seriously, when was the last time a recruit couldn't get into Duke?

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  5. RecoveringJournalist

Was Corey Maggette when that all changed?

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I think so. Maggette was the first "one-and-done" recruit (Remember how loaded that '99 team was?)
    The scrutiny that followed involved Jason ("Jay," as he's known now) Williams, who graduated in three years. Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does one graduate from a prestigious college in three years, all the while putting in time as a Div. I athlete in a high profile sport?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Summer school. It's definitely possible. Bernie Kosar did it, too. Football players at Notre Dame do it.

I think Duke hate is mostly like Notre Dame football hate. Two programs that cultivate a vibe of being the nation's only classy program that Does Things the Right Way. Meanwhile, Laettner came off like an arrogant asshole and Notre Dame signed its own TV deal after urging everyone else to stick together.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Major in sociology.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Tutors, summer school and possibly AP credit. A lot of these guys are enrolled by the summer before their freshman year. He also probably wasn't exactly an engineering major.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nicely done. Philosophy probably would have worked there, too.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Does Duke have a PE major?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Uh, no.

Draft saved Draft deleted